Software Engineer, Developer Experience at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better opportunity
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Better is looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing Core Tech team. You can help define the technical direction and culture of the team and Better as a whole. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
We are a team of passionate engineers that love to make the software-engineering experience as easy, fun, and productive as possible. As a Software Engineer in the Developer Productivity team you will work on the bedrock of which all other systems sit on top. From local development CLI tools to CI systems and deployment tools. The Developer Productivity team operates with a product driven mindset, working closely with our customers to better serve them. Our customers? The entire engineering organization at Better!
Some examples of our current projects:
- Automating provisioning of branch-environments to enable more comprehensive and better-isolated PR tests.
- Improving CI performance and cost.
- Continuing to expand our CLI tooling to automate even more day-to-day tasks for developers.
- Setting up a unified, dockerized, interface for services so that after a fresh clone of the repo on a new machine every service is runnable with a single command from a cold start.
- Building a service catalog to enable developers to discover shared resources, common libraries and practices, code ownership, etc.
- Node.js, Python, and Go for services.
- Ember.js, React, Typescript on the frontend.
- Postgres for the database, Redshift for our Data warehouse.
- Kubernetes and Lambda for compute, along with Datadog and LogDNA for metrics and logging.
- Buildkite for CI and Spinnaker for deployments
- AWS for infrastructure, leveraging EKS, S3, CloudFront, Route53, and much more.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years of experience coding in at least one modern language such as Python, Ruby, Node.js, Go, Java, C#, C++.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing systems (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling).
- Working experience with Linux, shell scripting, docker, makefiles, terraform, and/or cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Experience building multi-tier production software systems utilizing HTTP APIs (REST, GraphQL) and backend datastores (PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, Redis, Elasticsearch).
- Demonstrated ability to understand the tech stack and debug code.
- Enthusiastic about the opportunity of impacting the engineering culture from the bottom up.
- Demonstrated experience solving broad developer problems.
- Demonstrated experience creating documentation consumed by other developers.
- A Startup mindset, ownership, and a proper balance of quality and sense of urgency.
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.