Software Engineer, Developer Infrastructure at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. In addition, to the open source version of the DB we offer CockroachCloud, a self-service, fully managed cloud offering of CockroachDB. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy.About the role
Cockroach Labs is looking for a software engineer for the Developer Infrastructure team.
The developer infrastructure team builds development tools and infrastructure to accelerate the work of the overall engineering team. The work that this team does has a broad-reaching impact on the development teams that rely on these tools every day.
The team has a broad scope, owning a variety of tools that encompass the workflow of the engineering team, ranging from the CI pipeline to internal hosting infrastructure, to dashboards to report on Github issues. Success in this role means collaborating with engineers across many teams, some of whom are also contributing to these tools.
Some examples of work that the team is doing:
- Build and deploy automation to connect our release pipeline to deploy test releases of CockroachDB to CockroachCloud
- Migrate the CockroachDB build (a complex, multi-language build process) from make to Bazel in order to support migration from go vendoring to go modules
- Develop an open-source load testing tool called roachtest to automatically create and scale CockroachDB clusters for automated stress and performance testing
- Configure Kubernetes infrastructure on GKE to host internal development tools
The ideal candidate will have broad experience in backend software engineering, automation, cloud infrastructure, and continuous integration and will enjoy working on a variety of different problems from project to project.You will
- Understand the daily workflows of engineers across the team and identify ways to increase productivity and reduce friction.
- Write developer infrastructure tools, primarily in Go
In the first month, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You’ll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflow, and architecture for CockroachDB. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After your first month, you will shift your focus to the tools that the team owns and dig into the long term roadmap for the developer infrastructure team. You will take on your first project to improve our existing developer infrastructure.
By the end of the third month, you will be a fully-contributing member of the developer infrastructure team, having successfully owned and completed a medium-sized project. You will also have developed enough familiarity with our engineering processes to propose and scope projects.You Have
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 1+ years of hands on experience with GCP or AWS
- 2+ years of experience writing tools and developing CI pipelines
- Experience with automation and scripting on unix
- Experience with git/github and release management
- Hands on experience with containers
- Exceptional communication skills with a service mindset (where engineers are our customers) and desire to collaborate with other engineers.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Reporting to Ken Liu - Director of Engineering
Ken Liu is an experienced engineering leader, having managed engineering teams at several high-growth startups in NYC over the past 5 years. Prior, he worked in various industries as a software engineer including Novartis Pharmaceuticals, IEEE, and BMW. In his free time, he spends most of his energy keeping up with his two kids but occasionally likes to relive the 90s by rollerblading.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]