Software Engineer - DevOps at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands such as Discovery Channel, Genius Kitchen, TLC, Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel. Our Digital Studios team develops experiences on the web, mobile, and voice that reaches millions of users each day - inspiring them with ideas and tools to create their own unique world.
As part of our team, you will help establish DevOps best practices and build services and tools that help our teams deploy, monitor, and debug the micro-services that will power the next generation of Food Network web, mobile, and voice platforms used by millions of users each day. We’re building our services primarily using cutting edge AWS server-less technologies such as Lambda, API Gateway, Kinesis, and DynamoDB (amongst many others).
1. Help the organization achieve a resilient architecture through the use of chaos engineering, monitoring, post mortems, and other SRE practices.
2. Build and improve an observability pipeline including distributed tracing and structured logging
3. Collaborate with enterprise IT, Infosec, and support teams to implement and improve capabilities and processes
4. Deliver high quality, high performance, well tested, scalable code
5. Understand and help improve how our backend service teams leverage the cloud
6. Day-to-day support of project initiatives including: participation in sprint planning, team retrospectives, and code reviews
7. Weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-paced environment with constant change
8. Work with your teammates and engineers on other teams on deciding and implementing development and devops best practices
9. Communicate status, roadblocks and requirements to team management in order to proactively solve problems and drive solutions
10. You may need to travel a few days from time to time to spend time with engineers in remote offices
* Knowledge of cloud infrastructure and platforms (e.g., Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud)
* Experience automating infrastructure using AWS CloudFormation, Terraform, or similar
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States