BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
The Tasty team builds the tools and services that bring Tasty content to life. Our engineering team is looking for a frontend developer to help us develop features for our tasty.co users and applications that creators use to power Tasty content . This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media and who wants to work on projects with a global impact.
You’ll report to the Tasty Web Squad Engineering Lead in Minneapolis, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time and want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. You’ll work with engineering, product, design, and data science colleagues globally across time zones. While many BuzzFeeders typically go into offices, BuzzFeed employees are encouraged to WFH remotely until at least mid 2021 because of the pandemic.
- Develop user-facing applications and features on Tasty.co and in our Tasty editor (our CMS).
- Work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, and others to understand and shape work before it becomes code and after it ships to production
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed and get an understanding of large-scale media companies’ architecture and operations
- You have 2 or more years of experience in software engineering
- You understand that the web is for everyone and build inclusive, accessible systems
- You are a passionate and product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to and leading technical projects and working with both other engineers and cross-disciple teammates at all levels
- You value testing, instrumenting and documenting your work
- You adapt quickly to change and love to ship and iterate, building on new user research, insights and data
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
About the Products
The Tasty team manages our site (tasty.co), our proprietary CMS for publishing recipes, the applications/apis that support our website and our mobile apps. Our platform encourages experimentation and expansion. It’s important to us that our tools be reliable and bring some joy to the creation process.
We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and languages so if you don't already know the languages that we use, we know that you’ll learn.
- Tasty frontend includes React with NextJS, React with Redux for our CMS, Google AMP framework and SASS.
- Most of our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node, depending on the context of the service.
- Monitoring and instrumentation is essential for our content systems. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.