Software Engineer (Front End) at Orchard
Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes. Simplifying it, to the way it should have always been; fair and true to market, straightforward, easy. Every year in the U.S., $1.5 trillion of single family residences transact, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home –stress free, fair and simple.
We are headquartered in New York City, have 200+ employees and have grown 10x year over year. We have raised over $300 million in financing from top tier investors including: Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose.
Team and Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team at the ground floor and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary) to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
We’re looking for engineers that are passionate about building delightful customer experiences and help us create raving fans!
- Our UIs are built using Angular and written in TypeScript and SCSS.
- Experience with Angular or similar frameworks/libraries is required.
- Backend services are written in Python. Experience in Python is optional.
- Working knowledge of building web applications using single page technologies and service oriented architecture.
- Familiarity with Jest, Cypress, AWS, Postgres, SQL, Docker, CircleCI, Karma, Hugo a plus.
- Experience working with a team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code regularly using CI/CD tools.
- Strong problem solving skills
- 2+ years experience in software engineering
- Strong customer empathy with a product and business-driven mindset
- Results-oriented with a high motor and an incredible attention to detail
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills to work across diverse stakeholders and cross-functional teams
- A low ego and can-do attitude; willingness to admit mistakes and work to remedy them
- Flexibility to prioritize deliverables and re-prioritize them at a moment’s notice
- Comfort operating in an ambiguous environment where there's not a set playbook on how to solve each problem