Software Engineer - Full Stack II at Betterment
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
Full Stack Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience and product management to craft our consumer-facing applications. Part of being on this team is a love for building products you’re proud to share with your friends and family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences. You’ll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals, and you’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture and interaction.
Engineering spends much of its time with a variety of tools, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. You’ll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages and frameworks and will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs and other protocols.
This role is remote eligible. Colorado has an annual starting salary of $108,000, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience. We’re scaling super quickly and hiring engineers across a variety of levels. We will determine leveling and team placement throughout the hiring process. You and your recruiter will continue to chat about the relevant leveling throughout the process.A Day in the Life:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
- Integrate with real-time identity-verification services and our internal fraud-prevention system to create the fastest signup and funding process in the industry.
- Work side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, and then pair up with the design team to deliver an award-winning user experience powered by that advice.
- Reinvent the financial advisor space by building next-gen customer management and analysis tools from scratch.
- Partner with our retail, data and investment teams to bring Betterment's technology to a brand new market.
- Have experience in at least one server-side language - Ruby, Java, C#, C++, Python. We build our apps in Ruby on Rails
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
- Open to remote
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote