Software Engineer - Growth at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the world of paper credit card applications and hidden interest rates by providing leading point-of-sale financing options for merchants across the e-commerce journey. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow merchants to integrate an installment loan financing and checkout experience anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
This role will sit on our Growth team, which is a fast moving team that ships features and a/b tests quickly to constantly iterate on the Bread user experience and conversion funnel. Features range from trying to optimize the checkout experience, to retargeting funnels that merchant’s and Bread itself can employ, to being cross functional with growth opportunities in other divisions. This is a very data driven team due to the many experiments it runs, and shipping quickly is a necessity.
This is a blended full stack team that skews slightly front end, but has a heavy data component long term.
Your role at Bread:
- Be responsible for design and implementation of new features and iterations of our core platform
- Design new iterations of our services and APIs
- Be tool oriented - you’ll write tools and introduce approaches that we didn't know we needed but that after a month we won't know how we lived without them
- Build distributed systems that scale as we rapidly grow
- Enable Bread to process billions of dollars of financial instruments per year
What we are looking for:
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (our system is built with Go and PostgreSQL, but we’re also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; Rust, or C++)
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for engineering and technology
Nice to have:
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, RabbitMQ and Redis)
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, EKS, lambda’s, etc)
- Knowledge of financial products
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!