Software Engineer (Hardware Team)
We are on the brink of the next industrial revolution.
Manufacturing has long been an analog world, but this is about to change. By introducing machines to the digital world, there’s a staggering opportunity for efficiency and production leaps. Oden is driving this revolution. We’re on a mission to eliminate waste in manufacturing.
We have combined industrial hardware, wireless connectivity, and big data architecture into one simple platform so all manufacturers can analyze and optimize their production, from any device. Efficiency, sustainability, and competitiveness are democratized.
Why We Do It:
We like to enable those who make things - to make more, to waste less, to serve their customers, and to thrive in a competitive world. Help enough makers, and the world can give us all the abundance we want for less cost and environmental impact. We’re on the verge of a 4th industrial revolution that begs for absolute efficiency in all factors of life. We plan to deliver that to everyone who makes things. Check out some of our team members discussing life at Oden: Oden's Culture of Empowerment and Impact
- Are never satisfied with the way things are, but excited about the way things could be.
- Tinker. You embrace different technologies and want to see how they can work together.
- Are happy to put on steel toe boots and hit the factory floor to work with the production manager.
- Empathize with customer needs while also looking towards long-term innovation.
- Live by transparent and scientific thinking. You put in the work to find the best ideas with those around you, without ego.
Software Engineers on the Hardware team build features that enable our embedded devices to talk to machines on the factory floor, connecting manufacturing data to our platform that delivers valuable insights. Some questions we explore are:
- How do we efficiently scale and support large fleets of devices?
- How do we build robust and fault tolerant software to talk to a wide array of industrial machines?
- How do we adopt industrial automation technologies into our own development practices and understanding of new verticals from plastic extrusion to injection molding and others.
Software Engineers are self-starters and team players, during the product development lifecycle they collaborate closely with deployments, customer success, product, and data science to design the best solution. We believe that the best way to understand the needs of our users is to stand in their shoes, so occasionally we’ll tour factories and engage face-to-face. This position comes with steel toe boots.
What We Do:
- Write critical code that pulls data from our remote devices and sends them to our platform.
- Test end to end, verify new devices, features, and machine protocols in the lab or in a virtual environment before rolling out deployments
- Work closely with deployment team to gather requirements and feedback for the next iteration of tools and features that go into our hardware releases
- Work with industrial automation hardware such as PLCs, sensors, and HMIs
- Execute best practices of coding and testing standards
- Take part in code reviews
What We Value:
- Computer Science degree or similar field of study or equivalent practical experience
- 5-7 years experience in software development using languages such as Python, C, Go or similar.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and CS fundamentals
- Experience with the following:
- Unit tests
- Supporting software rollouts and releases
- Ability to write documentation and set up procedures
- An interest in hardware, you have an Arduino or Raspberry Pi that you’ve done some development on
- Any exposure to PLCs or industrial automation systems
- Worked on systems that process, store, and stream data, especially in the context of embedded hardware
- Knowledge of Modbus, MQTT, OPC UA, or other industrial protocols
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Diversity at Oden means building a team that is rich across all boundaries of race, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age and thinking style. We welcome all backgrounds, life experiences, and worldviews as this is the catalyst for the rapid evolution of our product and our organization. Diversity allows us to tackle new challenges, embrace change, make well-informed decisions, and ultimately Make Things Better. In alignment with our “People First” company value, Oden has a passionate internal team dedicated to the promotion of diversity and inclusion initiatives as a core component of our culture.
Our diversity initiatives apply to our practices and policies on recruiting, compensation and benefits; professional development; promotions; social activities and the ongoing development of a psychologically safe work environment.