Software Engineer I, UI at Discovery Digital Media
We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Discovery Digital Media is looking for a software engineer to build rich user across Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, tvOS, Roku and future platforms. Background in design will be helpful to succeed with creating.
We deploy applications for each of our network brands: Discovery, TLC, HGTV, Food Network, Science Chanel, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, Discovery Familia and Discovery en Español.
Our client technology stack includes ReactJS, Redux, Node.js, ReactNative, Swift, Android and BrightScript. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment where the engineers get together on a quarterly basis in NY to problem solve major business challenges.
1. Participate in design discussions about new features and approaches.
2. Write clean, concise, readable code that follows common design patterns and principles.
3. Complete work with a conscientious attitude and good follow-through.
4. Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
5. Learn the digital product development lifecycle and our agile process.
6. Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
7. Stay informed with changes in technology.
8. Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
* Experience with user interface and interaction design
* Some knowledge of UI component lifecycles, rendering and performance in at least one of our target platforms
* Strong oral and written communication skills.
* You are comfortable with collaborating using Git.
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo.
* Must have legal right to work in the United States.
* ReactJS or ReactNative application development experience a plus
* HTML5 Video, ExoPlayer, Brightcove or other video players experience a plus
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States