Software Engineer II - Growth & Support at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey.
Bread has enormous and engaging technical challenges. We need to verify online identity, predict fraud, and approve and price credit while providing a beautiful and frictionless consumer experience, all in real time. Our engineering team is seasoned, talented, agile, and quickly growing. We are looking to hire an Engineering Manager to join the current engineering team in continuing to build out our core platform, product, and teams.
You will be part of our Growth & Support team focused on easing the adaptability and consumption of our services for Bread's partners and merchants. This includes things like designing frameworks & strategies for delivery & upkeep of integrations with new third parties, defining which eCommerce platforms to support and in what manner, and assisting with the launch of new product offerings. The solutions implemented by the Partnership Growth squad are critical to our merchant and partner experience, as they are often the first experience that they will have with Bread, setting the tone for all future engagements.
Your role at Bread:
- Be responsible for leading design and implementation of new features and iterations of our core platform
- Design new iterations of our services, APIs, and eCommerce plugins
- Be tool oriented - you’ll write tools and introduce approaches that we didn't know we needed but that after a month we won't know how we lived without them
- Build distributed systems that scale as we rapidly grow
- Enable Bread to process billions of dollars of financial instruments per year
What we are looking for:
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems (3-6 years)
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (our system is built with Go and PostgreSQL, but we’re also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; Rust, or C++)
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for engineering and technology
Nice to have:
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, Kafka, and Redis)
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, k8s, docker)
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
- Experience on agile teams
- Experience with eCommerce Platforms (e.g. Salesforce Commerce Cloud, Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce)
- Knowledge of financial products
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers that set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included projects like Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet throughout each quarter to plan and then dedicate a full week to implement features requested by engineers. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and, over time, potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!