Software Engineer (New Grad), Frontend
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We're looking for frontend and full stack software engineers to join our team.You Will
- Design, code, and test the web frontend for CockroachCloud. You will bring your expertise to the table to provide the best user experience to our users, partners, and customers.
- You will collaborate with web designers, product managers, and customers to create user friendly experience to deploy, manage, monitor CockroachDB.
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will be comfortable contributing to CockroachCloud's codebase. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and the product roadmap.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachCloud. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product, and you play a crucial role in making CockroachCloud a joy to use.You Have
- Been pursuing a degree in Computer Science or related technical field, graduating between December 2019 and June 2020.
- A passion working on complex technical products and have exposure to distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- A love for building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Past experience as a software engineering intern working on production-level code.
- Genuine interest in Cockroach Labs' mission and are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects.
- Bonus points if you were a TA or Head TA for a CS course.
Note: Our interview process consists largely of programming in a real environment, and we'll be evaluating you on the skills listed above.The Team
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs.
Co-founder & VP of Engineering
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 5:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Andy Kimball - Engineering Manager
After 16 years working at Microsoft on data access technologies, Andy decided he wanted to try something entirely new. So he spent the next 18 months working in a photo sharing startup, and after that 4 years at Square providing loans to small businesses. He has enjoyed getting back into data and system-level programming here at Cockroach Labs. He’s based out of the SF Bay Area and spends his free time with his wife and 4 kids
Jordan Lewis - Engineering Manager
Jordan joined Cockroach Labs to work on the best new database on the block with the people who know how to make it great. Before joining Cockroach Labs, he was improving education at Knewton, where he worked on providing real-time content recommendations for students at scale. Outside of work he enjoys rock climbing at the gym and outdoors, singing, and playing board games.
Kendra Curtis - Engineering Manager
Kendra has 20+ years of experience in all levels of the software stack, from early days writing firmware for wireless networking products at Wi-LAN, to managing teams of developers building Web Applications at Google. Kendra worked on Google's early data centers. She was a member of the Management team responsible for the integration of DoubleClick (DCLK) into Google. She was a Co-founder and CEO of Scout It Out, a listing service for Rehearsal Spaces. Kendra joined Cockroach Labs because she loves building great teams and values work-life balance. Outside of work she enjoys skiing, acting, and walking in the park with her dog, Lady.Our Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]