Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 500 employees and growing. We've recently raised $100 million in Series D funding at a valuation over $1 billion and have financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
About the Role and Team
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth team and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary), to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low, and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
We’re looking for engineers that are passionate about building delightful customer experiences for both web and mobile, design scalable architecture for our API platform & internal tools, and orchestrate data processing across different data sources.
We are interested in all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
This is a full-time role based out of our New York City office that will start during the summer of 2022.
What You’ll Do Here
- Build and continuously deploy both internal tools and consumer-facing products.
- Scale web services to support consumer web-scale traffic volume
- Design reliable & secure systems which our customers can trust for managing sensitive data
- Develop business workflow features supporting user roles ranging from home advisors to title agents, lenders and even construction teams
- Work with the following technologies: Python3, TypeScript, Angular, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Airflow
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have
- Working knowledge of building web applications using single page technologies and service-oriented architecture
- Prior internship experience working with a team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code
- Currently have, or are in the process of attaining, BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- A results-oriented attitude with attention to detail: we expect engineers to own projects from planning to production deployment (and production operations!)
- Low ego with appetite for feedback: we value humility and sharing + receiving feedback for growth and continuous improvement
- Business empathy & clear communication: we work with product, design & business stakeholders collaboratively from early in the design process. We look for engineers to frame technical problems in the context of business value and be able to communicate with cross-functional teams
- Prioritization & value orientation: we operate with agile principles and balance long-term planning with re-evaluating priorities based on new data and assumptions
- Problem solving & ownership: we look for a willingness to take on problems in a growing organization where there's not yet a defined solution
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're continuing to work from home until it's safe for all employees to return to the office. Our offices are open for our team members who would like to come in on a voluntary basis and for team members who work in essential in-office roles. As part of our commitment to health and safety, all employees currently working in our office spaces are required to show proof of vaccination. We anticipate making an official return to the office on a hybrid basis in January of 2022 and are excited to see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.