Orchard is transforming the way people buy and sell their homes, simplifying it to be fair and true to market, straightforward & easy. The U.S. has $1.5 trillion worth of home transactions each year, generating over $120 billion of fees in a process that has changed little in decades. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety and is filled with uncertainty and hassle.
Orchard offers a modern alternative, making one of life's biggest decisions -- the sale and purchase of a home –stress free, fair and simple.
We are headquartered in New York City, have 200+ employees and have grown 10x year over year. In addition to this incredible growth, we’re proud to have been recognized by Inc. Magazine as a Best Workplace of 2020 while hold a 4.9 Glassdoor rating!
Team and Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth team at the ground floor, and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary), to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low, and support lean & nimble product engineering teams.
We’re looking for engineers that are passionate about building delightful customer experiences for both web and mobile, design scalable architecture for our API platform & internal tools, and orchestrate data processing across different data sources.
We are interested in all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
In this role you will
- Build and continuously deploy both internal tools and consumer-facing products.
- Scale web services to support consumer web-scale traffic volume
- Design reliable & secure systems which our customers can trust for managing sensitive data
- Develop business workflow features supporting user roles ranging from home advisors to title agents, lenders and even construction teams
- Work with the following technologies: Python3, TypeScript, Angular, PostgreSQL, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Airflow
- Working knowledge of building web applications using single page technologies and service-oriented architecture
- Prior internship experience working with a team to plan, prioritize, build, and deploy code
- Currently have, or are in the process of attaining, BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- Results-oriented with attention to detail: we expect engineers to own projects from planning to production deployment (and production operations!)
- Low ego with appetite for feedback: we value humility and sharing + receiving feedback for growth and continuous improvement
- Business empathy & clear communication: we work with product, design & business stakeholders collaboratively from early in the design process. We look for engineers to frame technical problems in the context of business value and be able to communicate with cross-functional teams
- Prioritization & value orientation: we operate with agile principles and balance long-term planning with re-evaluating priorities based on new data and assumptions
- Problem solving & ownership: we look for a willingness to take on problems in a growing organization where there's not yet a defined solution