Software Engineer, New Grad/Early Career - New York, San Francisco, Toronto at Cockroach Labs
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?About the Role
We are looking for extraordinary backend, full-stack, and frontend engineers to join our team.You Will
- Design, code, and test across our distributed database, CockroachDB, or our database-as-a-service, CockroachCloud. You bring your expertise to the table to help us build the best database for our users, partners, and customers.
- Collaborate with designers and engineers both in-house and in our open source community to design, implement, and integrate new features and tools into CockroachDB.
- Improve the performance of CockroachDB or CockroachCloud.
- Make sure that our products stay scalable, survivable, and consistent as we continue to grow as a company.
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team. You will be comfortable contributing to the codebase for CockroachDB or CockroachCloud. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and the product roadmap.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for Cockroach Labs products. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our products, and you play a crucial role in making our database offerings a joy to use.You Have
- Been pursuing or recently completed studies in Computer Science or related technical field, graduating between December 2020 and June 2021.
- A passion working on complex technical products and have exposure to distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- A love for building relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Past experience working on production-level code.
- Genuine interest in Cockroach Labs' mission and are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects.
- Bonus points if you were a TA or Head TA for a CS course.
Note: Our interview process consists largely of programming in a real environment, and we'll be evaluating you on the skills listed above.The Team
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
Peter Mattis - Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
Peter works on a bit of everything, from low-level optimization of code to refining the overall design. He was thrust into file systems early in his career at Inktomi and then learned the true meaning of scalability while working on Gmail and Colossus at Google. Before stepping into the office in the morning, he will have nursed his CrossFit addiction and dealt with the chaos of a three kid morning routine. You can set your watch by his daily departure at 4:30 pm to have dinner with his family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kidsOur Benefits
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Fertility and Family Planning coverage
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at [email protected]