Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building the infrastructure and platforms that will improve the resiliency, scaling, and development speed for cloud services.
We are looking for a platform software engineer with an operations background for building operationally sustainable solutions for internal DO data and network platforms. Our team’s mission statement is to “provide tools and expertise to solve common operational problems, accelerating and simplifying product development.” As part of the team, you’ll be working with a variety of data-related technologies, including datastores like MySQL, Kafka, and Redis. You will also work with networking and web operations technologies such as load balancers and API gateways.
This is an opportunity to build the services and systems that will accelerate the development of DigitalOcean’s cloud features. Services will provide highly-available, operationally elegant solutions that serve as a foundation for a growing product base and serving a global audience. This is a high impact role and you’ll be working with a large variety of product engineering teams across the company.
- Working closely with product engineering and infrastructure teams to drive adoption of services throughout the company
- Instrument and monitor services developed to ensure operational performance
- Create tooling and automation to reduce operational burdens and honor service level objectives (SLOs)
- Establishing best practices for development, deployment, and operations
- Driving adoption of managed platforms throughout the company
- Interaction with developers and teams to resolve production issues
- Distinguished track record developing and automating platform solutions that service the needs of other engineering teams.
- Adept in Python, Bash, or other scripting languages. Experience working within a Go codebase.
- Familiarity with continuous integration tools such as Concourse. Experience with configuration management tooling and processes such as Chef & Ansible.
- Firm grasp of high-availability concepts and resilient engineering patterns.
- Experience operating the stack of highly-transactional web operations across multiple sites.
- Capability of thinking critically about failure models, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- Experience with platform technologies for data and compute including services such as Kafka & Redis and also Kubernetes
- You have a passion for not repeating yourself (DRY) by way of automation where it makes sense
- Crunching mundane support tickets day over day - be the automator!
- Following a large ‘top-down’ product roadmap - platform engineers wear product hats as needed and help define what platform gets built!
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!