Software Engineer: Public API at DigitalOcean
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about building APIs our community of developers love.
Our community loves us for our powerful, easy to use tools and interfaces. We help them scale their business to the next level. We are looking for engineers to join our API Engineering team.
API Engineering works closely with our community and our internal teams; this role is an excellent fit for someone who is highly collaborative. We are involved in all aspects of API strategy and development: collaborating with product strategy and UX; partnering with internal dev teams on design and architecture of endpoints; strategizing with SRE and security; and working with developer relations and customer support to provide our developer community with tools they love. Much of our code is open source. It’s a great opportunity for breadth of learning across all products and services in DigitalOcean.
API Engineering team members are currently a mix of remote and onsite. DigitalOcean supports this position being fully remote.What Our Team is Doing:
- Owning DigitalOcean’s public API strategy
- Collaborating with engineers, UX, product teams, support, data science and more to provide a consistent, coherent public API
- Building out an API contract testing ecosystem and associated workflows
- Streamlining the tooling and workflow for how our internal developers maintain the clients and CLIs that our customers use to interact with DigitalOcean features
- Partnering with our infrastructure teams for shared infrastructure needs (Auth, Deployment, Observability)
- Supporting open source tools including Terraform and our CLI (doctl), interacting directly with the developer community via Github PRs, etc.
- Defining and publishing OpenAPI v3 spec
- API versioning, access control, and other best practices
- Empathy for our developer users and the customers we support
- Enthusiasm for delivering simple and elegant solutions that developers will love
- Some familiarity/experience with REST, bonus for gRPC
- Some familiarity/experience with GitHub and open source maintenance
- Interest in learning and contributing to all areas of what our team does
- Open to recent C.S. graduates and early career developers
- Self-directed and able to work well remotely (Slack oriented environment)
- We value development. You will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. We maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development through formalized mentorship, LinkedIn Learning tracks, and other internal programs. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We care about your physical, financial and mental well-being. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a commute or internet allowance to make your trips to your office or your desk easier. We offer generous parental leave with transition time built-in upon return to work. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match.
- We support our remote employee experience. While we have great office spaces in NYC, Cambridge and Palo Alto, we’re very distributed—we use a number of communication tools to connect across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to visit our offices and meet their teams face-to-face at team offsites. We also have an annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the entire company at least once a year. We also allow employees to outfit their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Department: Engineering #LI-Remote
Want to learn more about our Engineering team? Click here!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Click here to hear from our employees!