Software Engineer, Services at Paperless Post
Paperless Post is seeking a software engineer to help build the services architecture and API gateway framework that support best-in-class discover and shopping experiences for a complex network of over 100 million users. As a key member of our growing Services team, you’ll help craft new core services and iterate on existing ones in Golang. You’ll work on all parts of the development cycle and in many different areas of code as part of a deeply collaborative team with a robust development process.
A little about the team
The Paperless Post Engineering team, a highly collaborative group of developers and technologists, is charged with building and refining a consumer-facing product that millions of people interact with each month. Our individual feature teams each focus on a unique piece of the user experience and are made up of engineers, product managers, QA, and product designers. We prioritize creativity and continuing education, and our ongoing commitment to quality code shows in our pragmatic but brave approach to technology.
- Design and develop maintainable, reliable, scalable, and testable enterprise-level, services-based software.
- Author and champion architectural standards around the development of services in an SOA environment.
- Define design patterns that ensure performance, scalability, operability, and maintainability and hold feature teams accountable to their correct use.
- Investigate ways to build scalable and sound service-oriented architectures that are decoupled from our Rails application and allow cross-functional feature teams to build quickly, release and experiment iteratively, and quickly detect and resolve production issues.
- Design and implement consistent, high-throughput, low-latency APIs, making thoughtful trade-offs between consistency and availability when both are not possible.
- Deploy regular code releases to production and test environments in Agile release cycles.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to junior developers.
- Passion for building massively scalable systems and experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing.
- Strong understanding of frameworks and design patterns and working knowledge of AWS.
- Extensive knowledge in developing RESTful APIs with a strong foundation of maintaining SLAs.
- Experience building internal and external APIs and understanding of how APIs communicate with one another.
- Expertise in an event-driven language or extensive experience in PHP, Ruby, Scala, or Python.
Company-wide we enjoy an amazing ecosystem of an even gender split and a balance of engineers and designers. Because Paperless Post isn’t supported by ad revenue, we can focus our efforts on creating and improving on the ideal version of our platform, product, content, and partnerships for our users.
We are proud that Paperless Post helped over 100 million people connect in the real world since our inception. Our product is global, and we are committed to being a company where everyone belongs. We encourage people from all backgrounds, races, genders, and abilities to apply! Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer individuals, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.