Software Engineering Manager - Core Engineering at Bread
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date.
This individual will join Bread’s Core Engineering group. We are a relatively new group, and our main goal is to service all the verticals in our product engineering organization by providing a cross-platform, easy-to-use, abstract software solution(s) that emphasize on scalability and extensibility. Core Engineering is uniquely set up to work with all teams within Bread, and our end-clients are essentially our colleagues and peer engineers. Our group will work primarily on the backend using Go. Some product examples that we are developing include Workflows, Authentication, and BRE (Business Rules Engine). We are an easy going and dedicated group and our responsibilities are evolving. We are looking for talented and excited engineers to join us!
Your role at Bread:
- Manage a product engineering team, including professional development and leading them towards product delivery and success, meeting regularly with direct reports, providing frequent feedback on their work, helping individuals set goals to ensure employee growth and retention goals
- Work with senior engineering leadership to guide and influence the direction of the engineering organization
- Work actively with TPM to both understand and help develop the engineering roadmap
- Be accountable for leading design and implementation of new features and iterations of our core platform
- Block and tackle, when necessary, for engineers on your team
- Be data oriented and focused on what it takes to deliver reliable, scalable, and efficient products and technologies
- Identify and execute on opportunities to improve the software development lifecycle and processes
- Scale by delegating effectively; ensure tasks are completed as specified without micromanaging
What we are looking for:
- Experience managing and/or leading engineering teams
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems
- A passion for product, engineering and technology
- Experience with transactional RESTful API services with 24x7 availability
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (such as: Go, Java, Rust, Postgresql, Redis, etc)
Nice to have:
- Proven experience managing/leading a 4+ person team
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS, k8s, docker)
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
- Experience managing in an OKR and KPI environment
- Experience on agile teams
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, Kafka, and Redis)
- Knowledge of financial products
- You enable your team at every chance you get
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers that set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included projects like Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet throughout each quarter to plan and then dedicate a full week to implement features requested by engineers. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and, over time, potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!
If this is you, submit a cover letter and resume to apply!