Software Enginerer III
We are a small, but mighty team, working at the cross roads of technology and entertainment to bring content from iconic television brands to our audiences over the Internet in the most entertaining ways we can imagine and build. As television changes, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
We deploy applications for each of our network brands: Discovery, TLC, Velocity, Science Chanel, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, American Heroes Channel, Destination America, Discovery Life, Discovery Familia and Discovery en Español.
As a Sr. Cloud Engineer at Discovery, you'll be responsible for developing and maintaining our cloud based infrastructure.
This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and availability problems for products consumed by millions of users each day! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment where the engineers get together on a quarterly basis in NY to problem solve major business challenges.
1. Build (multi-region) infrastructure in public cloud providers (AWS)
2. Manage and operate infrastructure as code
3. Develop tools to automate process and tasks
4. Develop blue / green deployment system
5. Develop and maintain log aggregation
6. Develop and maintain infrastructure metrics collection
7. Setup alert system
8. Ensure system compliance with various corporate requirements (for example security).
9. Ensure uptime of the platform for end-users as well as development teams.
10. Collaborate with coworkers from design, engineering, product, project, QA and content teams.
11. Learn the digital product development lifecycle and our agile process.
12. Utilize multi-tasking and context shifting skills.
13. Stay informed with changes in technology.
14. Produce comprehensive, usable software documentation.
15. Self-starter that enjoys learning new tools, technologies, and most of all, solving problems.
* The ideal candidate will have 5+ years’ experience programming in a variety of languages with the ability to read and pick up new technologies quickly
* Full stack developer
* Proficiency with the cloud provides (AWS)
* System level troubleshooting
* Configuration Management systems (puppet)
* Expertise with source control management systems (git)
* Ability to provide code samples either privately or through a Github repo
* Proficiency w/ Containers
* Familiarity with Content Delivery networks (Fastly, CloudFront, Akamai)
* FFMPEG knowledge and general video encoding process
* Must have legal right to work in the United States