Sr Application Security Engineer at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
As Discovery's portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Product Security team is building the people, technology and process to partner with Discovery’s direct-to-consumer, media technology, and IT systems to meet the world-class standard for which Discovery is known.
Within the broader Information Security team, there has never been a busier or more urgent time to obtain the best talent we can for a function so critical to Discovery. The Information Security Team at Discovery is a growing group of cybersecurity professionals, that are using the latest tools and resources to protect the assets from our internal infrastructure to the shows we broadcast across the globe on Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Discovery ID, TLC, EuroSport and more. From the US to Singapore, India to LA, we are tasked with protecting, training, and implementing the best of the best in tools, resources, monitoring, threat detection, and more.
The Application Security Engineer to work closely with Discovery’s Information Security and Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) teams on initiatives to protect data, services, and technology assets and to design, deploy appropriate, risk-based application security safeguards and technical application security controls.
This is a key role within the Information Security organization that will be focused on application security for our streaming media service and other supporting applications. The Application Security Engineer will be a valued partner to development and engineering teams to ensure secure architectures, patterns, and solutions are created and maintained. This person will work closely with Discovery’s DTC application teams and will build a community of practice with developers within DTC to support effective communication and collaboration. This person will be the subject matter expert for secure code development and will work with various application engineering teams to develop alternatives for remediation of vulnerabilities.
- are passionate about web and mobile application security
- want to work in an international, face-paced company
- want to learn how to secure consumer-facing applications
- would like to be a part of an experienced team of practitioners opened to sharing their knowledge
- want to learn how to implement security into SDLC (CI\CD)
- want to have a visible impact on the security of a large suite of products
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Be creative and solve problems with solutions that can scale
- Run, maintain, and utilize security tools for the Appsec program
- Own Application Security engagements with Product Teams across their SDLC
- Lead security code reviews and contribute to application designs and solutions
- Collaborate with development teams to ensure secure coding best practices are followed
- Perform security and risk assessments for consumer-facing applications and services
- Identify and define application security requirements and security baselines
- Work collaboratively and proactively across the organization with Product Teams on Application Security initiatives
- Communicate Findings/Remediation Guidance/Security Design Patterns to development teams
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging secure application technologies/products/trends
- Actively and continuously present/train role-specific knowledge with team members and product teams
- 6+ years of experience with application security/penetration testing work
- Subject matter expert on common security risks in web/mobile applications and web APIs
- Solid understanding of security protocols, cryptography, authentication, authorization
- Extensive hands-on experience with;
- code reviews, business logic assessments, and application security testing
- application security tools like Burp Suite, ZAP, or MobSF
- practical threat modeling for consumer applications
- testing methods such as SAST/DAST/IAST
- CI Systems such as Jenkins
- Experience in;
- working with Agile development/Scrum teams
- incorporating security requirements into a SDLC
- building and deploying solutions with modern programming languages in a cloud environment
- building mobile applications
- Understanding of DevOps practices
- Broad knowledge of IT Security technologies, processes, and techniques and a strong understanding of application security practices.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Computer Science, or Information Security preferred.
- Knowledge of cloud security principles
- Knowledge of GitHub’s Security features
- GPEN, GXPN, GMOB, CSSLP, or other similar Security Certifications
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]