Sr. Backend Engineer - Kafka at Collibra
Today, organizations across all industries are using data for nearly every business decision, and the value of reliable, trustworthy data has grown exponentially as a way to gain competitive advantage. Collibra was built to be the system of record for all data professionals.
Our scalable, cloud-based platform provides people with a uniform view of their data landscape, independent of where or how the data is stored. This enables people to automate processes, find and understand their data, and trust the data to make confident, informed business decisions - something we call Data Intelligence.
Founded in 2008 in Brussels, Belgium
Named Belgium’s first Tech Unicorn in 2019
$345.5M in funding
600+ employees across 18 countries
Global offices in Brussels, NYC, Wroclaw and Atlanta
Co-working locations in London, Paris and Melbourne
Main tech stack: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Java, Spring, PostgresQL, React, TypeScript, GraphQL and many others
To support our current and future growth, we are looking for a top-notch engineer that wants to continuously improve our products while working closely with our entire back-end team. We are an engineer-driven company where your talent is truly appreciated and maximized.A day in the life of a Sr. Backend Engineer & Kafka Specialist at Collibra:
You’ll be building exciting new features for the Collibra products, together with your team members (fellow developers, QA engineers, a UX expert and a product manager).
This means that you’ll share responsibility from beginning to end to deliver great quality software:
- You’ll play a key role as our Kafka expert, and will help Collibra and other Collibrians build mission-critical data pipelines and products
- Working independently and as an expert to the team to evaluate criteria and determine procedures and methods
- Leading the definition and/or implementation of new features or products, technical strategies, development standards, configurations – and ensuring overall team success
- Collaborating cross-functionally with Engineering and Product teams to influence technical decisions
- Track progress while keeping a fully working product at all times
- Implement the new functionalities with a passion for quality and review the code changes from your peers before they go into the main line in Git
- Interact closely with the QA to make sure you write the necessary tests and they can give you feedback early in the process
- Report on your progress using Jira
- Demo fully finished parts to your team, and demo your work to the entire development and product teams
- Celebrate your successes!
- You have a deep experience with Kafka (real-time streaming, data pipelines, structured ETL,…)
- 12+ years of experience with building scalable software, or 8+ years of experience and a Master’s degree in a related field
- A repeatable approach to defining, articulating, and implementing methods and strategies to develop complex products and features... always tied to end-user value
- Perfected your use of build-and-test tools like Jenkins, Maven/Gradle, Junit, Mockito
- You have experience working with Hibernate, Spring, IntelliJ IDEA IDE
- Comfortable working fully in English - we're a global team, and it's the language we share!
- Knowledge of ElasticSearch, Docker, Kubernetes, Apache Spark, and database model optimization are a huge plus
- You’re passionate about creating and finishing new things
- You love challenges and problem solving, and have no fear for the unknown
- You are Agile, positive, open, and have a flexible, solution-driven mindset
- Competitive compensation, and private company equity
- Inclusive benefits package allowing enrollment of dependents and partners
- A flexible culture that understands the importance of quality of work over quantity
- An opportunity to work with a diverse, global community of 600+ Collibrians across 18 countries, united by our value of open, direct, and kind
- A culture of company-wide collaboration and shared success.
- Company supported and employee driven resource groups that promote diversity, career development and empowerment
- Learning and development programs to advance your career and personal growth
- Corporate social responsibility initiatives with global reach
- Regular recognition, feedback, and open communication across all levels
- Team building, bonding, mentorship and support to grow confidence, trust and friendships
- Fully stocked kitchens, biweekly catered lunches, and regular social events for when we get back to the office. Until then, we’re finding new ways to stay connected and engaged.
*At Collibra, we’re focused on building a world-class company and culture, and that starts with the people we hire. We take pride in being an equal opportunity employer, and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.*