See all jobs
At Frame.io we love Elixir. Attend Elixir meetups with the team to help grow the community of users. Implement new features, share your knowledge, and mentor junior engineers.
Frame.io is changing the future of how videos are made by helping over 1 million creative professionals seamlessly collaborate from all over the world.
We’re backed by Accel, FirstMark, Insight Partners, SignalFire, Jared Leto, and a host of other amazing investors. Our market-leading product is used and loved by companies such as Turner, Disney, NASA, Snapchat, BBC, BuzzFeed, TED, Adobe, Udemy, and many more.
We’re in an exciting period of growth and are always seeking extremely talented and passionate individuals who share our vision for helping visual content creators produce their best work.
About the Role
Engineers at Frame.io are creative, technical people making beautiful and powerful tools to enable other creative, technical people to do their best work—Frame.io is the thread that runs through the entire video post-production process. The product and engineering team at Frame.io bases our process on five principles:
- We always come back to the problem to solve.
- We explore solutions at the right level of detail.
- We give full responsibility to designers and engineers during their phases of a project.
- We seek stakeholder feedback throughout the course of a project.
- We ship often to ensure we deliver value to customers often.
We are looking for a senior back-end engineer who can turn ideas into beautifully written code that other people—or you, six months into the future—will find easy to comprehend and modify. As a technical leader on the Frame.io back-end team, you will:
- Model a rich and expansive domain. You’ll design and implement data models for every facet of the post-production domain, as well as powerful systems to keep the Frame.io application efficient and stable.
- Contribute to a mature (but not too crufty!) Elixir application. Frame.io is home to one of the largest Elixir applications in the world, and senior engineers here have the opportunity to design highly concurrent, fault-tolerant systems.
- Own the implementation of great features. You’ll work directly with designers, client engineers and product owners to bring new features to life. You’ll provide guidance and input into the process of building and deploying their vision, as well as writing the code that makes it real.
- Guide and mentor your fellow engineers. You’ll be an authority on best practices for the engineering team, as well as an important leader for other engineers in the organization - back-end and otherwise.
Our team is highly productive and committed to mutual support, collaboration and knowledge sharing. We’ve got some of the brightest minds in the biz, but more than that, we are dedicated to a work environment where we can all grow and learn. We combine this commitment with a dedication to quality engineering and sound, informed technical decisions. We understand that the best code is the code that moves our business forward, and we make every decision about the back-end in the context of the product that everybody at Frame.io is building together.
As a note, your final level/title will be determined throughout the interview process.
- Extensive, solid experience in designing and developing multiple large-scale Web application back-ends.
- Experience in Elixir or a comparable functional programming language.
- Experience in MySQL or PostgreSQL outside of an ORM, including the ability to design SQL queries for performance and efficiency.
- Familiarity with common API and services design best practices.
- Deep experience in overall system design and implementation—how they scale, how they should fit together, and how they’re likely to break.
- Experience migrating legacy components with little to no downtime.
- Ability to analyze and solve difficult problems across the back-end.
- Write solid and scalable code.
- Doing regular code reviews.
- Building new features and services in Elixir.
- Providing technical leadership to junior engineers.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Paid parental leave for primary or secondary caregivers
- Unlimited PTO and designated Volunteering paid time off
- Yearly stipend for learning and development
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and OneMedical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- $50 Monthly reimbursement for cell phone bill
Our philosophy is simple. At Frame.io, we believe that working with people of different backgrounds and perspectives allows us to elevate each other and helps us build a better product for our users.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to providing all employees with a work environment that celebrates individuality and remains free from any form of discrimination and harassment. We base our employment decisions on the needs of our business, job requirements, and applicants' qualifications. In other words, we only care that you’re the best person for the job.