Sr. Software Engineer, Experimentation Platform at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
As a member of the Experimentation group, you will partner with a diverse team of experts across technology, business, and data science to build a world-class experimentation platform powering experiments across Grubhub’s technology organization. Types of experiments include but are not limited to A/B tests, multivariate experiments, and multi-armed bandits.
We're looking for a senior software engineer with previous experience and/or a strong interest in working with experimentation platforms. You will have a wide range of responsibilities, from architecting scalable backend infrastructure, to designing and building new features and functionality to support an ever-increasing volume of experiments. This person will play a crucial role in setting a solid foundation for a robust and scalable platform, and will have the opportunity to set the direction for how to evolve the solution in the future.
The Impact You Will Make
- Help design and build a performant and highly available service to support large-scale experimentation across multiple teams and applications
- Collaborate with multiple engineering teams on highly complex problems and provide detailed technical solutions
- Partner with data scientists, product managers, and business stakeholders to translate requirements at varying levels of technical specifications into software that meet their needs
- Contribute to the full development lifecycle of this project, and elevate team performance by participating in code review, promoting best practices, and identifying process improvements
- Support domain teams across Grubhub technology by providing them the ability to implement experiments using a robust, centralized platform
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 5+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Prior experience or interest in working on an experimentation platform
- 3+ years with Java, C#, or a similar object-oriented language
- 2+ years experience with elastic search, building indexes, etc.
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud-based offerings
- Experience conducting automated testing applicable for services (junit/testing, mockito + jmeter/gatling.io)
- Strong fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
- Familiarity with developing highly-available distributed systems (5x9’s uptime, etc.)
- Exposure to Cassandra
- Exposure to hypothesis testing, statistical modeling, and/or data science
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous working environment
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You’ll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.