See all roles
We’re all about video. It’s at the core of our product and pipeline. If you’re an expert at video and image processing, and are looking to build on your cloud-computing knowledge, you’d be a great addition to our team!
Frame.io is changing the future of how videos are made by helping over 1 million creative professionals seamlessly collaborate from all over the world.
We’re backed by Accel, FirstMark, Insight Partners, SignalFire, Jared Leto, and a host of other amazing investors. Our market-leading product is used and loved by companies such as Turner, Disney, NASA, Snapchat, BBC, BuzzFeed, TED, Adobe, Udemy, and many more.
We’re in an exciting period of growth and are always seeking extremely talented and passionate individuals who share our vision for helping visual content creators produce their best work.
About the Role
Engineers at Frame.io are creative, technical people making beautiful and powerful tools to help other creative, technical people to do their best work. We have to be—Frame.io is the thread that runs through the entire video post-production process.
We're looking for a media focused systems engineer to join our growing engineering team. You'll work in an autonomous group that builds cloud-based services to power our entire media processing and delivery pipeline: the service at the very core of the Frame.io product. You will prototype innovative ideas and look to continuously optimize and enhance our media pipeline.
Some projects members of this team have built recently include:
- An HLS and Dash streaming video service, built using Cloudfront, [email protected] and API Gateway.
- An on-the-fly watermarking system, encoding segments within Lambda functions.
- A PDF page extraction service, generating up-to 4k images per page of a PDF.
We also have some very exciting initiatives around live capture from multiple sources into the Frame.io cloud. We rely heavily on AWS services to build these systems; in fact our whole video encoding process was recently the subject of an in-depth AWS showcase that you can check out HERE.
As a team we work with petabytes of data, hundreds of thousands of video encodes per day, and the challenges and demands that come from working at the very forefront of delivering Enterprise grade secure review experiences. This is a great opportunity to enhance your cloud computing knowledge; you'll be expected to design, build, and maintain cloud-based services that our client teams and customers consume.
- Experience working in Python, Go, Java, or C++.
- A background working with video or image processing.
- Past experience with Cloud Computing platforms: AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google App Engine or similar.
- Past experience working with distributed systems, especially in a media business.
- Great communication skills are a must.
Bonus points if you have
- Worked across the full multimedia streaming and playback stack
- Knowledge / understanding of audio video encoding such as H.264, AAC, HEVC, AV1 or streaming formats such as HLS, MPEG-DASH and also live streaming.
- Experience with DRM and HLS-AES.
- Knowledge of advanced and emerging video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision, 360 videos.
- Experience in analyzing and improving performance of CDN infrastructure
- You'll work to plan, design, and execute new end-to-end multimedia-focused services and infrastructure for our customers and web, mobile and platform teams.
- You'll work closely with other client and service teams to deliver your services. This means partnering to make sure you're designing clear APIs and well defined contracts. Ideally, you'd also learn to work throughout our tech stack.
- You'll be responsible for running and maintaining the services you build – that means being on-call and accountable for meeting defined SLAs.
- You'll be educating the wider engineering team on video engineering and the work you do.
- You'll receive close guidance and mentorship from our engineering managers and leads, as well as code reviews from your peers.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Paid parental leave for primary or secondary caregivers
- Unlimited PTO and designated Volunteering paid time off
- Yearly stipend for learning and development
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance and OneMedical membership
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly Work from Home Stipend
- 1 paid company-wide holiday for each month in the calendar year
- All-company week-long winter and summer breaks
Our philosophy is simple. At Frame.io, we believe that working with people of different backgrounds and perspectives allows us to elevate each other and helps us build a better product for our users.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and are committed to providing all employees with a work environment that celebrates individuality and remains free from any form of discrimination and harassment. We base our employment decisions on the needs of our business, job requirements, and applicants' qualifications. In other words, we only care that you’re the best person for the job.