Staff Engineer, Backend
At Harry’s, Inc., we are building a cutting edge technology stack to support our multi-brand vision. In 2013, we launched Harry’s - a successful men’s grooming and men’s care brand. In 2018, we launched Flamingo - we thought it was time we got some honestly good products for over a million women that were already using our products. We focus on quality craftsmanship, simple design and modern convenience and now we have over 3 million customers worldwide.
With our most recent round of financing ($112 million), we are developing brands beyond men’s and women’s care. The technology required to enable our goals is more sophisticated than first meets the eye. If you are a driven, talented engineer, come join us and help build the platform that will enable our new vision.
About the Role
As a Staff Backend Engineer you will be responsible for designing and implementing backend services to support a variety of business needs. You will refine the design of our existing architecture and understand the impact that this can have across the company. You care about software elegance and enjoy doing code reviews to raise the bar for efficiency and programming best practices. You will report to the Director of Backend Services.
What you will accomplish:
- Be a service owner in the design and implementation of new backend services
- Make improvements to existing backend services to make them more performant, reliable, secure, testable and maintainable
- Make recommendations in improving key engineering metrics for performance, availability, scalability and efficiency in support of additional brands, systems and geographies
- Propose engineering best practices - writing RFCs, creating runbooks, driving process improvements (e.g. to CI/CD, deployments, code reviews, incident resolution, etc…)
This should describe you:
- You have a Bachelor’s in computer science, software engineering or similar (or equivalent non-traditional training) and 4+ years of relevant work experience
- You have experience in developing backend services, troubleshooting & debugging issues.
- You are already familiar or capable of quickly learning our technology stack: Scala, Play, Akka, Postgres, AWS (EKS, ECS, Cloudformation, Kinesis, Lambda), Terraform, Circle CI
- You are able to make tradeoffs across more than one programming paradigm (knowledge of Scala / functional programming and Java / object-oriented programming is a plus)
- You have a DevOps mindset, taking responsibility for the entire system and its operations (experience with AWS technologies is a plus)
- You know how to make large software projects maintainable and extensible in the long run and have experience with technologies such as databases, queues, workers, concurrency, indexes, etc.
- You are curious about software and how things work, you work to understand technical problems deeply, and you stay current.
Harry’s is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together. As an equal opportunity employer, we prohibit any unlawful discrimination against a job applicant on the basis of their race, color, religion, veteran status, sex, parental status, gender identity or expression, transgender status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information. We respect the laws enforced by the EEOC and are dedicated to going above and beyond in fostering diversity across our company.