Staff Software Engineer (Architect)
About This Position
As a Staff Software Engineer (Architect), you will guide the evolution of Ellevest’s technical architecture and help expand our technical capabilities to support our rapidly growing business. We follow agile methodologies and on a day-to-day basis leverage Ruby and Rails, React, React Native, MySQL, and Redis, among others running on a modern AWS stack supported by exciting new technologies.
- Develop a thorough understanding of Ellevest’s present and future business plans and work to align the technical architecture accordingly
- Ensure coherent technical design and implementation across the system
- Ensure that the architecture and implementation scales to support a rapidly growing company
- Maintain up-to-date system design documents and architecture diagrams
- Develop and deliver training on technical topics to engineers.
- Mentor and support engineers
- Communicate details of technical architecture effectively across the company,
- Be involved in company strategy discussions providing technical perspective on feasibility and opportunities to deliver business advantage
- Lead the architecture review process for major changes or additions to the system architecture
- At least 8 years professional software development experience with a strong track record of delivering real world systems through the entire software lifecycle
- Some experience in or exposure to web frontend technologies such as React, AngularJS, or VueJS
- Some experience in or exposure to mobile frontend technologies such as React Native or Swift
- Excellent communication and mentoring skills
- Proficient in component and deployment architecture
- Strong proficiency in data and object modeling
- Experience in financial, healthcare, commerce, logistics or other domains with significant backend complexity
- Devops experience a plus (Ansible, Terraform, and AWS experience a big plus!)
- Adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. This includes working independently and on a team.
- Passion for our women-oriented mission
Ellevest is a transformative technology company created to help women achieve their financial potential. Ellevest helps women take control of their financial futures through investing, with a beautifully designed digital platform backed by an incredibly smart algorithm. Ellevest was co-founded by Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck, chair of the Ellevate Network, previously CEO of Smith Barney and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, formerly CFO of Citi, and author of “Own It: The Power of Women at Work.” Ellevest has raised $70MM from investors like Rethink Impact, Pivotal Ventures, Valerie Jarrett, Salesforce Ventures, PayPal Ventures, MasterCard, Khosla Ventures, Morningstar, and Venus Williams.
Ellevest has flipped the traditional approach to investing with a real-life, goal-based approach. Clients select personal financial goals such as buying a home, starting a business, raising a family, and retiring well, among others. Ellevest is unique in taking into account a woman’s longer lifespan and different salary curve, combined with her current financial picture, to construct highly customized investment portfolios for each of her goals. Ellevest’s unique algorithms are designed to get the client to her goal number or better in 70% of market scenarios, higher than traditional financial advisors.
Working at Ellevest
Ellevest is a leading tech company in New York City, with a thriving team across our engineering, product, marketing, client experience, investments, and operations organizations. We place a major emphasis on building a team and working environment where individuals can succeed professionally and personally. As a team member at Ellevest, you can expect to make a difference through your work, to have a direct impact on the achievement of a very meaningful mission, to significantly advance your career trajectory, and to have room for fun and fulfillment in your daily life. We know that achieving a mission as critical as ours requires incredible talent and teamwork, and team is the most important thing to us.
In 2019, for the second year in a row, Ellevest was awarded a spot on CNBC's Disruptor 50 list --“identifying start-ups on the cutting edge of huge consumer, tech and business shifts”. In 2018, Ellevest was awarded the #14 spot on LinkedIn’s list of most sought-after startups. In 2017, Ellevest was named one of Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Ideas, and CNBC listed Ellevest as one of their Top 25 Most Promising Startups on a path to becoming tomorrow’s household names. We are working every day to make this a reality, and create a brand and a service that closes the female money gap.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: Instead of a cover letter, we ask you to answer the three questions at the bottom of this application.