At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be a part of our Core Payments team, focusing on the integrations and architecture that power payments at Justworks. The Payments & Tax Unit (PTU) is responsible for the critical operations of processing payments and taxes accurately and on time.
As a successful candidate, you have demonstrated the ability to build, maintain, and optimize applications. You want to understand how systems work, and you think about how to make them work even better. You will leverage your demonstrated ability to own and lead the implementation of features in large-scale, distributed applications to support the long-term growth of Justworks.
You are eager to learn and passionate about improvement. You spend significant amounts of time directly assisting and leveling up other engineers. You understand the concept of “separation of concerns” and have leveraged design patterns to solve technical challenges. You look for signals in the noise and can mitigate potential issues before they become problems.Your Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
- Design and develop core application functionality to process payments and payroll taxes
- Design and develop reusable interfaces and APIs to power future initiatives
- Collaborate with a cross-functional PTU team across engineering, operations, and product
- Mentor other engineers by forging relationships of continuous learning and improvement
- Advise on integrating with banks and other FinTech institutions
- Keep extremely sensitive data compartmentalized and secure
As a Staff Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Hands-on experience working with complicated systems at scale (6+ years preferred)
- Superior mentorship and leadership skills, with a strong ability to lead by (technical) example
- Strong systems architecture and object-oriented coding skills
- Experience building APIs and/or webhooks
- Experience in banking, FinTech, accounting, or similar financially relevant domains is a plus but not required
- Experience integrating with internal and external services
- Experience working with complicated systems at scale
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience on the technical side of payments (Wire, RTP, FinTech, ACH, banking, finance)
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment