Staff Software Engineer, Growth at Justworks (Greater NYC Area, NY)
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
You understand the concept of “separation of concerns” and have leveraged design patterns to solve technical challenges. You appreciate the importance of investing in your team and you educate and empower those around you. You look for the signal in the noise, and can detect and resolve issues before they become problems.
As a Staff Software Engineer for Growth, you will leverage your ability to own and lead the implementation of features in large-scale, distributed applications to support the longterm success of Justworks. The Growth team’s mission is to identify areas of opportunity within other business units at Justworks, and deliver technology that unlocks value-adds for those teams. You will apply your experience with technology to creatively push the boundaries of what’s possible for our internal teams, elevating Justworks’ technological foundation. You will be working primarily in Ruby on Rails and React, but prior knowledge is not a requirement, and you should have a deep understanding that goes beyond the ability to use these toolsYour Success ProfileWhat You Will Work On
In your first 3 months, you will
- Work closely with other engineers, product managers and designers on a daily basis
- Lead impactful and visible efforts to scale our technology and capitalize on business opportunities
- Evangelize software development best practices to ensure the sustainability of our technology, and motivate other engineers to do the same
- Multiply the impact of engineers across the organization through mentorship and empowerment
- Ship products and features that generate immediate value and feedback—then iterate on them
As a Staff Software Engineer for Growth, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking.
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Minimum of 7 years of professional hands-on experience
- You have a deep understanding of data structures, algorithms and object-oriented design, and have used them to solve real-world problems
- You collaborate across engineering and product teams to uplift the organization
- You face complexity with eagerness and confidence
- You thrive working with a team of diverse backgrounds and identities and you seek to bring out the best in your teammates
- You have experience working with service-oriented architectures
- You have broad experience with modern software development environments, tools and technologies
- Bonus: you have experience in Ruby on Rails or React
- ElasticSearch, Docker, InfluxDB, Redshift, Jenkins, Nagios
Justworks is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work, our people, and our product drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, competitiveness, and collaboration throughout our business and in the market. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our product accessible to all of our customers.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Our DEI Commitment