Staff Software Engineer, Media
Scale matters. And when it comes to our video platform, scale means ingesting tens of thousands of hours of video a day and thousands of videos served every second.
We are looking for a Principal Engineer to join our rapidly growing Media team at our New York City headquarters. Responsible for our our media management, transcoding, delivery and live streaming systems, the right candidate will relish the opportunity to build, lead, mentor a continuous delivery organization. We’re looking for a seasoned professional with a hunger to learn, innovate and deliver breakthrough solutions.
For this coveted role you will be expected to work across multiple engineering teams to innovate and drive solutions forward. You will be a key player in architecting and building new solutions in the areas of video processing and management, distributed systems, micro-services, scale, performance and storage.
- Bachelors of Science in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related field or equivalent experience
- 11+ years of experience delivering massive consumer scale software
- Ability to break down large ambiguous problems into discrete components that can be delivered by you or other software engineers
- Experience working within a team of 4-7 people while directly collaborating with other engineering teams, product management, and company executives
- Proven success building and running a large SaaS infrastructure
- Experience driving technology evolution of existing systems as well as creating new ones
- Experience with event-driven or message-driven architectures
- Masters or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent
- Knowledge of video encoding, ad networks, content management platforms, and/or streaming protocols
- Experience working on or contributing to widely used open source projects
- Experience making multi-year decisions to inform technical vision
- Highly collaborative personality with the ability to work with all levels within the company
- Proven history anticipating challenges across the organization and acting on them
- Influential and known within the software engineering community
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.