Staff Software Engineer, Personalization at Skillshare
As our first Personalization Engineer at Skillshare, you'll be building out the foundations of a micro-services based Personalization system that will connect our users to the right content.
Skillshare is a New York-based mission-driven technology startup that has built an online learning community where millions come together to take the next step in their creative journey. We want our community to get inspired, learn new skills, and work in ways they care about so that living a creative life is possible for everyone.
You’ll be joining a fast-paced team that is passionate about technology, building products we’re proud of, and upholding a strong, collaborative team culture. We’re excited to meet you!
What you’ll do:
- Design, develop and ship new microservices that will power the personalization APIs used by our website and mobile apps
- Operationalize the historical and real-time data pipeline to create, train and update the models
- Collaborate on design and end-to-end development of personalization APIs with data scientists and product managers
- Collaborate with data scientists on developing features, prototyping and iterative tuning of models
- Architect simple solutions to complex challenges
- Ship code to production daily to support our fast-growing product
- Participate in agile software development including daily stand-ups, bi-weekly sprint planning, and sprint retrospectives for the team
Why we're excited about you:
- You have 5+ years of experience building highly-scalable APIs and services
- You’re an experienced backend engineer with a proven history of building at scale
- You are a natural collaborator – you work seamlessly within and between teams
- You are motivated by full ownership of your work and are eager to help improve our users’ experience
- You have experience in developing and deploying software in a continuous delivery environment
- You have experience using AWS services and developing serverless or container-based services
- You have experience developing with Python, Node.js, AWS Kinesis, and other caching and data store technologies
- You have experience developing and operating machine learning-powered personalization related services in production
- You have a strong understanding of how to transform business needs into features and you have the data and business intuition to be able to design, vet and trouble-shoot features for recommendation systems
- You have experience or interest in feature flag based development
- You have a passion for having a real impact on the world
- You have worked with US-based clients/teams
- You are highly proficient in English
Why you're excited about us:
- Our mission: We are building a learning ecosystem for the new economy and changing millions of lives for the better.
- Our team: We have a passionate, smart team that is a lot of fun to work with. You will have the opportunity to travel to New York and spend time with the teams there.
- Your life: We take pride in our flexibility. Working remotely is part of how we need to work these days. You’re a professional, and we trust you to do what you need to do.
- Impact: You’ll play a key role in shaping the direction of the engineering team and overall technology strategy.
- Our growth: We are looking at triple-digit growth (and then some). It’s going to be a very exciting few years ahead for Skillshare, and you'll participate in the company stock option plan.
- Flexibility: We believe that doing your best work means living a full life. That means different things for everyone, so we optimize for trust, invest to support remote teams, and encourage work-life balance. We offer a flexible work culture, including Work From Home Tuesdays and extensive vacation days.
- Your growth: Ongoing education including learning stipends, English language classes, conference opportunities, and in-house training, ranging from Equity 101 to Engineering Lunch & Learns and professional skills.
Skillshare is an online learning community for creatives. We have thousands of inspiring classes for creative and curious people, and millions of members who come together to find inspiration and take the next step in their creative journey. We are backed by Union Square Ventures, Spark Capital, Amasia, Spero Ventures, and Burda Principal Investments.
Skillshare is committed to building a diverse team that reflects a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We’re proud to be recognized as a top place to work by BuiltinNYC, Crain’s, and Forbes, in addition to being one of the five best places to work for women by Bpeace, and a top-rated workplace for dads by Fatherly. We work to ensure a consistent interview process, fair compensation, and inclusive work environment for all.