Staff Software Engineer - Platform at Peloton
We are looking for an engaged and enthusiastic Staff level engineer (Tech Lead) to join our Core API team. We build the foundation upon which hundreds of developers build the Peloton experience. You will join a team where everyone shares a common interest in designing, running, and maintaining our high traffic, mission-critical monolithic API application (written in Python) while striving for simplicity and high speed of development.
The team’s mission is to ensure the smooth functioning of our core API. The team is often tasked with determining the root cause of low-level system issues related to performance, build and deploy failures, security, and more.
Being part of this team will lend you the opportunity to make an impact not just within your team but the engineering organization as a whole. You must be experienced and comfortable interfacing with members of other teams to gain clarity, triage issues, and drive them through cross-functional initiatives.
As the organization scales, we’ll also look to deploy the monolith to multiple regions and also rearchitect it to a more scalable distributed system. Being a lead on this team will lend you the opportunity to make an impact in the execution of such strategic projects.What you’ll do:
- Be a hands-on leader with focus on delivery of small to large initiatives including guiding the team to make strategic technical decisions to enable delivery outcomes, set expectations with and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Lead architecture meetings and technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus and best practice solutions
- Participate in breaking down monolithic legacy applications through becoming an expert in our business logic and leveraging new technology
- Identify and drive impactful projects that help scaling, developer experience, enhance security and introduce automation
- Focus on the whole team’s productivity and strive to maximize the impact of the team’s work product
- Lead, coach, pair with, and mentor backend software engineers of diverse backgrounds
- Nurture a culture of ownership, learning, automation, re-use, and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and industry best practices
- Engage in code reviews helping maintain our coding standards
- Well experienced (5+ years) in developing high-performance, highly scalable web application systems
- At least three demonstrable experiences in leading the deployments of systems into production
- Have a DevOps mindset and are comfortable with CI/CD tools and containerized applications
- Enjoy triaging low-level system issues and have a knack of introducing automation where you see gaps
- A valued team player in a dynamic, autonomous, cross-functional agile team that inspires others
- Experience mentoring engineers with the team-focused mentality for success
- Experience with multiple database engines (Postgres, MySql)
- Material experience with various web services frameworks such as Spring, Flask or similar
- Have experience using monitoring and metrics to support KPIs and performance of APIs
- Communicate effectively with business stakeholders
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Hands on experience decomposing monoliths into microservices
- Hands-on experience designing and building event-driven architectures
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming and Test Driven Development
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.