Staff Software Engineer
Who we are
Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, accepting capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help build Commons, our digital care management platform. Commons enables our clinical teams to engage with patients, collect structured data about medical, behavioral and social needs, and develop personalized care plans that drive good health. Commons will allow our care operations to scale to eventually support hundreds of thousands of patients in cities across the country.
You will join our engineering team which works closely with our design, product management, data science and clinical operations teams to create a digital product experience tailored to our exact needs.
We’re building Commons with a modern tech stack: React, GraphQL, Typescript, Node.js, and Postgres, all hosted on HIPAA-compliant AWS through Aptible, and using Redox as our integration layer to Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems.
If you like building great user experiences, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
- Design, build, implement, and own entire features in Commons.
- Write, and review, code up and down the stack as needed.
- Ensure we are using industry best practices for producing reliable software that works beautifully.
- Write clean, well-tested, code that will stand the test of time.
- Participate in creating and maintaining strict compliance, data privacy and security measures.
- Help recruit highly capable engineers to the team from diverse backgrounds.
- Learn continuously via mentorship (and on your own!) to upgrade your skills and thinking as an engineer.
- Mentor junior engineers, new team members, and apply technical expertise to help others grow effectively.
- Collaborate with our clinical teams to gather requirements and problem solve.
- Work closely with design to build user-facing features that are highly efficient to support field-based operations and engage patients.
- Come up up to speed on how healthcare works (or doesn’t) to support those who need it most.
You’d be a good fit if:
- You are invigorated, rather than daunted, by the challenge of building great health tech.
- You have a process-oriented mindset, and are comfortable writing and debating around design documents.
- You enjoy working across the stack and seeing features through end-to-end.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and shipping software used in real-time by our clinical team.
- You have 5+ years experience writing production code.
- You have a passion for doing mission-oriented work.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
Nice to have:
- Experience with the technologies in our stack
- Experience building health technology and/or manipulating health data
- Experience leading and mentoring members of an engineering team
- Previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians
- A CS degree or equivalent (top tier bootcamp grads welcome!)
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
You should include these in your application:
A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
A cover letter including a one paragraph summary of a technical project you’re most proud to have built and what was hard about it. Optionally include links to public-facing documentation about the project such as a Github repo or blog post, if available.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.