Staff Software Engineer
Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
Bread has a talented and driven engineering team. We have difficult problems to solve up and down the stack, from providing a seamless user experience that works on hundreds of merchants' websites in the most critical part of their flow, to making real time credit decisions to scaling to support millions of dollars in transactions per day in a system that is being used around the clock. Our engineering team is seasoned, talented, agile, and quickly growing.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our product engineering team. This engineer will be a partner to the Senior Director of Engineering and CTO and will guide the technical approach and strategy of Bread's engineering team.
Your role at Bread:
- Mentor and be a resource for every member of the team
- Design, Lead, Implement, and Ship new product features and architectural frameworks
- Partner with senior engineering leadership to review and curate all aspects of our technical architecture and approach, from the code base to the database, to infrastructure, to our development process
- Be involved in significant technical decisions
- Design and Develop strategies for scaling Bread's platform to support billions of dollars in transactions
- Write tools and introduce approaches and frameworks that will ensure the team continues to get faster over time
What we are looking for:
- Expertise building scalable and reliable distributed systems on time
- Something to offer every member of the team and a passion for sharing and collaboration. You're happiest when you're in front of a whiteboard working out a problem with your colleagues.
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (our system is built with Go and PostgreSQL, but we’re also happy to speak with those that have strong backend experience with other languages, including JVM languages like Java or Scala; Python; or C++)
- Experience with cloud deployments (AWS, k8s, docker, EKS, CI/CD)
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for the craft of engineering
- A passion for enabling team successes
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!