Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 500 employees and growing. We've recently raised $100 million in Series D funding at a valuation over $1 billion and have financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
Role and Responsibilities
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth team at the ground floor and play an instrumental role in making the home buying and selling experience frictionless for our customers.
Orchard’s engineering culture is centered around product empathy and autonomous teams with high feature ownership. Engineers take ownership of feature development end to end. This means we partner with Product Managers and Designers to solve ambiguous business problems and have a high degree of collaborative input before writing code. We strive to keep common infrastructure and dependencies simple (or only as complex as necessary) to keep the coordination costs of infrastructure deployments low and to support lean and nimble product engineering teams.
We’re looking for staff engineers that are passionate about building delightful customer experiences for both web and mobile, designing scalable architecture for our API platform and internal tools, and orchestrating data processing across different sources. The ideal candidate will have 7-10+ years of experience creating, updating, and maintaining web applications and/or backend services.
In this role you will:
- Build and continuously deploy both internal tools and consumer-facing products
- Set technical standards for maintaining well-written, testable, and scalable applications and services that allow for moving quickly while delivering quality
- Own the architecture, reliability, and roadmap for products & systems under your purview
- Play an active role in hiring and mentoring other engineers
- Work with business stakeholders to design and architect solutions to our business problems
- Evaluate third-party and open source software to make decisions about what we build versus buy and where to buy
- Experience building web applications using single page technologies, relational databases, and service oriented architecture
- Experience providing mentorship and guidance to peers, including but not limited to code reviews, training, and feedback
- Experience taking the lead in planning, architecting, and executing the development roadmap for complex software projects, including those that span multiple teams or services
- Demonstrated history of technical roadmap ownership and setting technical direction, including making prioritization decisions and trade-offs between long-term scalability and moving quickly in the short-term
- 7-10+ years experience in software engineering
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're continuing to work from home until it's safe for all employees to return to the office. Our offices are open for our team members who would like to come in on a voluntary basis and for all team members who work in essential in-office roles. As part of our commitment to health and safety, all employees currently working in our office spaces are required to show proof of vaccination. We anticipate making an official return to the office on a hybrid basis of two days a week in January of 2022 and are excited to see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.