System Engineer - Senior Consultant at Thoughtworks
How would you leverage your technical expertise to create extraordinary impact for our clients?
Thoughtworks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
Our engineers have been contributing code to major organizations and open source projects for over 25 years. They’ve also been writing books, speaking at conferences and helping push software development forward, changing companies and even industries along the way. We passionately believe that software quality is driven by open communication, review and collaboration. That’s why we’re such vehement supporters of open source and have made significant contributions to open source tools for testing, continuous delivery (GoCD), continuous integration (CruiseControl), machine learning and healthcare. They’ve been constantly working with many huge corporations to help them assess, sustain, improve and unify their complex system of business critical applications.
As consultants, we work with our clients to ensure sustenance of their business critical applications, evolving their technology and empowering adaptive mindsets to meet their business goals. You could influence the digital strategy of a retail giant, Build and Run a bold new mobile application for a bank, redesign platforms using event sourcing and intelligent data pipelines or influence the lifecycle of a legacy or a modernized application. You will use the latest Lean and Agile thinking, create pragmatic solutions to solve mission-critical problems and contribute to revolutionizing the way operations are executed by evolving the run to be highly automated and intelligence driven, thus challenging yourself each day.
For a team to thrive, it needs active collaboration and room for healthy, respectful debate. Senior Developer Consultants will cultivate this environment while driving teams toward delivering on an ambitious tech vision and acting as mentors for more junior-level consultants. You will leverage deep technical knowledge to solve more complex business problems and actively assess your team’s health, code quality and nonfunctional pipelines.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- Gaining the understanding of complex application systems and find your way through them to debug a business impacting issue
- Performing Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and leveraging your debugging skills to provide timely solutions to customer issues
- Following standards and best practices to bring operational efficiencies, stability, and availability of the system
- Leveraging your skills on the various application monitoring metrics and tooling and using them to generate reports and take corrective actions
- Leveraging your knowledge regarding the different Logging techniques (various levels) and use them for alerting, monitoring and RCA
- Championing best practices like writing clean and reusable code using practices like OO design, pair programming and Solid design principles
- Partnering with other technologists from cross-functional teams
- Leveraging your experience and deep technical understanding in working towards making the system a constantly evolving one, be it automating certain areas or refactoring code to improve efficiency and performance.
- Learning, digesting and subsequently applying the latest technology thinking from our tech radar to solve client problems
- Efficiently utilizing DevOps tools and practices to build and deploy software
- Mentoring your peers
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- 4-8 years of experience with Java+(SpringBoot) or .Net
- You have experience working with one of the Databases like MySQL/PostgreSQL
- You have experience working with various application monitoring tools ( like DataDog, Prometheus or Grafana. You understand the different metrics that go with it and are able to generate reports and take corrective actions
- You understand and follow standards and best practices to bring operational efficiencies, stability, and availability of the system
- You are skilled in working with one of the cloud platforms, AWS, Azure or GCP
- You have experience working with containerization tools like Docker and CI/CD tools like Jenkins/Azure Pipelines
- You understand the different Logging techniques (various levels) and are able to use the logs for alerting, monitoring and RCA
- You can skillfully write high-quality, well-tested code and you are comfortable with Object-Oriented programming
- You are comfortable with Agile methods, such as Extreme Programming (XP), Scrum and/or Kanban
- You enjoy influencing others and always advocate for technical excellence while being open to change when needed
- You’re willing and able to commit to travel to client sites in order to solve their business problems
- You’re willing be to part of a need based 24x7 availability team, on rotation
Good to have :
- Exposure to working with Python
- Exposure to on-premises cloud technologies like Openshift