System Reliability Engineer
IEX is looking for our next System Reliability Engineer – you may also know this role as Dev Ops, Web Ops, Systems Ops, and so on. The right person for the job will be an insatiably curious tinkerer with technical chops, who has done this type of role before. Bonus points if you take an interest in the stock market, though finance experience is not a must - only a willingness to learn all about the inner workings of the market is required.
In this role, you’ll be constantly optimizing and automating our processes and systems, in an effort to improve reliability, scalability, and maintainability. Plus, you’ll take on real-time responsibilities, such as monitoring, incident management, and recovery.
Coding and scripting is part of our daily life (we like python, bash, awk, sed, ansible and Go). You’ll be exposed to how the technology interacts with the business side, and will gain a deep understanding of application logic and business data work-flows which is essential during the recovery process when an incident occurs. Experience with any layer in our stack (Linux, Java, C++) is highly beneficial particularly around the areas of performance and capacity. Experience in an agile environment is a plus, and a willingness to tackle the challenge of innovating within a regulated environment is key.
- Collaborative, team player
- Deadline driven
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Strong belief in IEX's mission
- Sense of humor, a plus!
What you'll do:
- Participate in the engineering process as we design, build, and manage the resiliency of our systems.
- Work on customer facing infrastructure provisioning and troubleshooting (e.g., cross-connects).
- Responsible for the reliability, maintainability, and performance of the production trading platform from the network to the bare metal servers on up.
- Build tools to monitor and automate processes around the core trading network and server infrastructure.
- Core contributor to our change management and blameless post mortem processes.
- Containerize applications where it makes sense
- Troubleshoot issues across the whole stack – hardware, software, applications, and network.
- Capacity planning and performance engineering related projects.
- Guide other business functions (e.g., development, market operations, business development, subscribers, etc.) on reliability techniques, application, and system functionality.
- Educate and mentor team/company on operational best practices.
- Automation and Config Management experience with tools like Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Hands-on experience with Linux, python or bash, git
- Multicast operation and pitfalls
- Container experience (Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher)
- Host side networking
- Packet level understanding of network traffic, working experience troubleshooting with packet captures, etc.
- TCP/IP Stack, routing
- General familiarity with Data Center workflows and working with DC personnel to implement changes
- Hardware familiarity
- Arista and Cisco switches and their CLI’s
- Networking experience at Layers 2 and 3
- Ethernet and IP
Here at IEX, we are dedicated to an inclusive workplace and culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy not only complies with all applicable laws and protects workers' rights but is vital to IEX’s overall mission and values.