System Reliability Engineer at IEX
IEX is looking for our next System Reliability Engineer – you may also know this role as Site Reliability Engineering, DevOps, Web Ops, Systems Ops, and so on. The right person for the job will be an insatiably curious tinkerer with technical chops, who has done this type of role before in the finance space, specifically electronic trading. Bonus points if you take an interest in the stock market or have worked at a US equities exchange.
In this role, you’ll be constantly optimizing and automating our processes and systems, to improve reliability, scalability, and maintainability. Plus, you’ll take on real-time responsibilities, such as monitoring, incident management, and recovery.
Coding and scripting are part of our daily life (we like python, bash, ansible, and Go to name a few). You’ll be exposed to how the technology interacts with the business side and will work closely with the Core development team on product offerings for our members. Experience with any layer in our stack (Linux, Java, C++) is highly beneficial, particularly around the areas of performance and capacity. Experience in an agile environment is a plus, and a willingness to tackle the challenge of innovating within a regulated environment is key.
- Collaborative, team player
- Driven and motivated self-learner
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
- Strong belief in IEX's mission
- Sense of humor, a plus!
What you'll do:
- Participate in the engineering process as we design, build, and manage the resiliency of our systems.
- Work on a high performing, cross functional, agile team responsible for the delivery of customer facing products
- Responsible for the reliability, performance, and observability of the production trading platform.
- Build tools to monitor, automate and gain insight into the products and services running within the production trading environment
- Core contributor to our change management and blameless postmortem processes.
- Devise release and implementation plans for new products using SRE best practices and principles
- Troubleshoot issues across the whole stack – hardware, software, applications, and network.
- Capacity planning and performance engineering related projects.
- Guide other business functions (e.g., development, market operations, business development, subscribers, etc.) on reliability techniques, application, and system functionality.
- Educate and mentor team/company on SRE best practices.
- Experience in electronic and algorithmic trading, preferably US equities
- Automation and Config Management experience with tools like Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- Hands-on experience with Linux, python or bash, git
- Experience with kernel bypass technologies
- Multicast operation and pitfalls
- Host side networking, packet level understanding of network traffic, working experience troubleshooting with packet captures, etc.
- Experience building new or leveraging existing tools to analyze large data sets with a focus on the user experience and product performance
- TCP/IP Stack, routing
- General familiarity with Data Center workflows and working with DC personnel to implement changes
Here at IEX, we are dedicated to an inclusive workplace and culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. This policy not only complies with all applicable laws and protects workers' rights but is vital to IEX’s overall mission and values.