Team Lead Engineering - Search & Relevance at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Got a taste for something new?
We’re Grubhub, the nation’s leading online and mobile food ordering company. Since 2004 we’ve been connecting hungry diners to the local restaurants they love. We’re moving eating forward with no signs of slowing down.With 85,000 restaurants and over 15.6 million diners across 1,600 U.S. cities and London, we’re delivering like never before. Incredible tech is our bread and butter, but amazing people are our secret ingredient. Rigorously analytical and customer-obsessed, our employees develop the fresh ideas and brilliant programs that keep our brands going and growing.
Long story short, keeping our people happy, challenged and well-fed is priority one. Interested? Let’s talk.We’re eager to show you what we bring to the table.
The Search Team at Grubhub helps our hungry diners find the perfect meal. Our services for Search service millions of requests per day and the teams work on the Infrastructure for Search as well as implementation of algorithms for Ranking and Relevance. If you're an engineer interested in making a significant impact on our product, this is the team for you! This role will be reporting into our Principal Engineer.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
Build, recruit and manage a talented engineering team.
Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
Work with product and business leaders to determine the roadmap and deliverables for the Search & Relevance services suite of products.
Contribute to the search platform, software frameworks and SDK’s
Work closely with data scientists to apply new models to influence the Search Engine
Build and utilize metrics for analyzing relevance and ranking
Build systems that integrate with many other real time data sources and services
Contribute to design and architecture of systems that span multiple teams and/or products
Communicate with leadership, product owners, other technologists and users to create working software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities
Break down complex problems into elegant technical solutions to intelligently solve problems for our diners, restaurants, corporate accounts and internal stakeholders
Build and deploy features with limited or no reliance on QA
Actively contribute to the adoption of strong software architecture, development best practices and new technologies
You Should Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications(e-commerce preferred)
- 2+ years in a leadership capacity or 5+ years experience with leadership responsibilities
- Provides mentorship and coaching on career growth and development in a formal setting
- Manages a team of Engineers and provides mentorship and coaching on career growth for People Management responsibility
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + Jmeter/Gatling.io)
- Experience with search/machine learning will be highly desired
- Experience with Search Engines and SDK’s eg Lucene, Solr, Elasticsearch etc
- Familiarity or experience with Hadoop/Spark or other Data Engineering frameworks is a plus
- Familiarity with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB), distributed and or relational databases is desired
- Familiarity or experience with Docker, or similar containerized solutions and Mesos or Kubernetes is a plus.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Unlimited paid vacation days. Choose how your time is spent
- Never go hungry! We provide weekly Grubhub/Seamless credit
- Regular in-office social events, including happy hours, wine tastings, karaoke, bingo with prizes and more
- Company-Wide Initiatives encouraging innovation, continuous learning and cross-department connections