Tech Lead, Leaderboard
The Platform Engineering at Peloton builds tools and services to enable product engineering teams to iterate on ideas quickly and deliver highly reliable and scalable products. We are tackling challenging problems at scale as a result of the rapid growth in our user base and the growth of our engineering team. Our Leaderboard Engineering team is responsible for the core leaderboard experience and scaling it to meet the demands of our ever increasing user base. This is a key feature to the Peloton bike experience.
- Scale Peloton’s leaderboard system to improve its performance and reliability as the number of users on the leaderboard reaches hundreds of thousands. Peloton’s Leaderboard shows the real time rankings of users in the same class, live or on-demand.
- Define leaderboard technical roadmap, propose and architect solutions to meet leaderboard scaling needs.
- Lead and contribute significantly to implementations for improving leaderboard.
- Foster technical innovation, grow and mentor engineers on the leaderboard team.
- Collaborate with cross functional team members from Design, Product, Program Management and UX in order to deliver against quarterly and annual roadmap objectives.
- Instill a culture of ownership, automation, re-use and engineering efficiency through the use of software design patterns and leveraging commercial, off the shelf tools
- Achieve on-time delivery without compromising quality
- Strong understanding of software engineering principles and fundamentals including data structures and algorithms.
- Deep understanding of concurrency and threading, operating system internals, and networking.
- Experience in and good understanding of large scale distributed data systems (e.g. Cassandra, DynamoDB) architecture and principles as it relates to request processing, caching, storage, partitioning, and replication. Able to articulate trade-offs clearly of using different systems. Able to design software that make use of these systems or make use of principles underlying these systems.
- Experience in at least one relational database (e.g. Postgres, MySQL).
- Proficient in at least one programming language (Python, Go, Java, C++, C), and ability to discuss trade-offs of a few programming languages.
- B.S. in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent years of work experience
- Leader who can inspire other team members with their technical expertise, relentless drive for getting things done, and strong desire to foster knowledge sharing.
- Experience setting a strong vision and roadmap for the team and able to execute on it through leading by example.
- Ability to drive technical decision making through objectively assessing trade offs based on architecture, scope, business priorities, and impacts to product experience.
- Experience growing and mentoring engineers on the team.
- Ability to continuously encourage team members to come up with ideas and ability to execute on those ideas.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is an innovative tech company that brings members the best workouts possible, all from the convenience of their own home via the Bike,Tread and iOS App platforms. Peloton uses technology and design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime.
Peloton believes in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. We put our users, members, and customers first and we obsess over every touch point of the member experience – be it the studio, product or showroom. We like to hire the best and encourage all our associates to be Peloton’s brand ambassadors. Most importantly, we know that together we go far.