Technical Architect at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
New York, NY, US, 10012
Date: Jun 15, 2021
Req ID: 3116
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people’s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct-to-Consumer Group is a technology company within the Discovery brand. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT), and a suite of applications to support all of our network’s brands globally. We are building modern container-based microservices operated on AWS. Our platform covers everything from search, catalogue, video transcoding, personalization, to global subscriptions, and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets, and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery’s future.
We are hiring a Software Development Engineer III to join our Content Discovery team part of the Direct-to-Consumer Global Technology group. As a technical leader in the team, this individual will make critical contributions to Global Search, Recommendations and User Content Interest insights infrastructure, services & integrations that would enable the Discovery users explore content seamlessly across the digital platforms. An ideal candidate will be a creative thinker, result-driven and passionate about consumer video experiences & drive innovation and produce delightful experiences for our customers. This person will advocate for data-driven decision making, have an insatiable curiosity, love to invent and innovate to solve difficult problems, and obsess about their customers. The candidate will have a strong point of view but remain open-minded should evidence lead elsewhere. This engineer takes ownership of their work and consistently delivers results in a fast-paced environment.
● Build a deep understanding of Discovery Digital Platforms, User Base and related DTC Product and Technology vision that influences Content Discovery technology direction
● Be a technology leader in the team and contribute to Content Discovery technical architecture, roadmap and define guiding principles for software development in the team
● Develop strategic partnerships with technology leaders in other DTC teams and stakeholder groups to foster technical collaboration that is key to the success of large scale content driven systems
● Work closely with the software development manager in defining and documenting operational metrics that reflect the development quality of the team
● Reflect agility in thought process and work towards continuous and incremental improvements
● Play a proactive role in defining and documenting architectural guiding principles and development best practices that reflect DTC technology vision and roadmap
● Architect, design, develop and integrate complex Content Discovery frameworks, services and infrastructure that enable best user experience in accessing the integrated digital content.
● Enhance or support existing Content Discovery services and integrations
● Contribute to the Content Discovery quality control framework and practices
● Demonstrate proactiveness in owning the Content Discovery technology infrastructure and continuously strive towards improvement by influencing the development, release management and production support processes and practices
● Mentor and strive to technically enable other engineering junior resources in the team though high level design and code reviews
● Be vocal with the product ideas & technology recommendations, suggestions and concerns that influence the team working environment
● Degree in Computer Science or related field
● 8+ years of strong product architecture, design and development experience on large scale distributed systems in consumer-focused companies
● Proven and established technology leader who is capable of influencing product technology decisions based on the enterprise thought process and industry technology trends
● Very strong Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, architectural and design patterns, data structures & algorithms
● Ability to apply strong analytical skills in delivering simple solutions for complex problems
● Very strong expertise in cloud computing and hands on experience in delivering large scale distributed systems on cloud platforms like AWS and/or Azure and/or GCP
● Proficient in object oriented programming language like Java, C#, C++
● NoSQL experience like DynamoDB
● Experience with Event Driven Development on large scale data streaming platforms like Kafka
● Ability to work on a diverse, distributed and agile team
● Working experience on large scale content driven systems
● Successfully established engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
● Very strong communication skills
● Must have the legal right to work in the United States
● Experience with mission critical, 24x7 systems
● Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
● Prior advanced search implementation experience leveraging ML & NLP
● AWS Architecture Certifications
● Behavior Driven Development experience
● Any technical publications or digital print that reflect larger technical influence
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]