Technical Lead, Search and Recommendations
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 3 out of 4 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive online marketplace where teachers have created 4 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than six million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world! If you haven't heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher.
As the Technical Lead for the Information Retrieval pod at TpT, your primary focus will be overseeing the development and delivery of products and features related to Search and Recommendations. Some things you may be responsible for include:
- Writing code, but scaling up your impact through team leadership and technical project management
- Mentoring other engineers on the team to improve their skills
- Overseeing technical decisions for the team
- Managing technical debt and code quality
- Monitoring and maintaining the team’s products in production
- Collaborating with product stakeholders to scope and refine projects
- Working with the team to improve processes and keep things running smoothly
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- At least one year of experience working on a team focused on search systems, including work on engagement and relevance metrics.
- At least some experience working with recommendation systems in production.
- Substantial experience writing production-quality code in Python.
- Experience with testing and monitoring resilient systems at scale
- Comfortable working across the full stack in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Enjoys mentoring teammates and working collaboratively with peer engineering teams
- Committed to continuous learning, and communicating and sharing what you have learned
- At least 5+ years of experience in software development at scale
Extra Credit for:
- Experience with EdTech or e-commerce marketplaces
- Experience with Node.js + React, Elixir/Erlang, Kubernetes, Terraform, Chef, or AWS at scale
- Degree in Computer Science, and/or coursework in Information Retrieval or Machine Learning
- Open Source contributor or active in your professional community
- Parental leave for both mothers and fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mother’s Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.