A venture-backed industry leader in tech recruitment, Built In serves more than 1,800 innovative tech companies, with 2.5 million sought-after tech professionals visiting the site monthly. The platform leverages the power of content to help tech companies elevate their reputations as national, local or remote employers of choice, as well as leaders in DEI. With $30 million in funding to date, Built In raised $22 million in a 2019 Series C round led by Updata Partners with participation from existing investors including MATH Venture Partners, which led Built In’s previous two funding rounds. Built In’s most recent accolades include its inclusion in Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ list and the 2020 Inc. 5000 list.
Built In is a tech leader with a unique position in the market, expanding its product and technology footprint, and building the leading B2B SaaS product nationally for employer branding and talent activation. Its B2C marketsite comprises professionals who aren't just active job seekers but are learning about the tech industry or seeking professional development with high quality content. Built In helps customers get in front of this audience and launch their journey from reader to candidate to new hire.
The product and technology team is leading this innovation for the fast-growing company that is dedicated to building meaningful tech communities. We value talented people who are passionate towards solving business problems through innovation and best product and engineering practices. We embrace a culture of experimentation and constantly strive for improvement and learning. You’ll work in a collaborative, trusting, thought-provoking, outcome-driven environment in a forward-thinking organization that looks to push boundaries - one that encourages diversity of thought and creative solutions that are in the best interests of our customers nationally (and building towards a global brand).We’re looking for a Vice President - Engineering
Built In is seeking a VP, Engineering to manage the technology organization and the planning and execution of its technology infrastructure and initiatives.
You should be a strong and passionate technology leader with experience managing and scaling a company technology organization through various stages of growth (e.g. Series C, pre - IPO, or M&A). As a team leader, you should have strong people management skills at all levels and build a culture of engineering rigor that promotes better products with less downtime and refactoring. You thrive in an environment with complexity and ambiguity, have strong cross-functional communication, are a coach but can step-in and be a player, and will partner with various teams, both internally and externally, to deliver top-notch technology solutions and products. The position reports to the Chief Product Officer (CPO).How you’ll contribute
Partnering with the leadership team and CPO, the VP - Engineering will be critical in developing the company’s holistic technical strategy and leading the technical initiatives to achieve those goals.
You will deliver impact by demonstrating key skills:
- Own the vision for how technology will be planned and deployed across the organization, serving as the decision maker on behalf of the company's technological requirements.
- Transform the technology architecture to support the company growth plans, building scalable platform solutions, as well as building and customizing best-in-class software products.
- Build a sound business case with clear ROI to make technology investments and determine opportunities to buy or partner vs build technology solutions, to accelerate product vision.
- Define the technical footprint and architecture, build and execute on the architecture plans in an efficient manner to build the best-in-class user and customer experience
- Apply your depth of knowledge and expertise to all aspects of technology strategy, software development lifecycle, as well as partner continuously with your many stakeholders on a daily basis to stay focused on common technology and company goals.
- Provide vision and strategy for data management activities: overseeing enterprise information management, championing data governance and quality, ensuring state-of-the-art cybersecurity practices, and developing and maintaining well-designed and integrated systems and information architectures to support this vision.
- Guide the discovery, definition, and build of Analytics and Business Intelligence initiatives utilizing ML with data science leads
- Own the engineering process to produce quality software with effective and efficient execution, define goals for the engineering team and help them achieve those goals.
- Work within our multi-technology stack including Go, Vue, TypeScript, Python and Docker to build services and applications; Drupal-based platform with content, and Salesforce.
- Create, manage, and integrate timelines for the development and deployment of all significant projects based on resources, dependencies, and requirements. Instill a culture of urgency while not sacrificing code confidence and product quality.
- Built technical architecture documents to enable the business’s flow chart of work and creating the "why, how, what” foundation for scale.
- Epic and sprint planning alongside product and UX design team, identifying risks and opportunities, allocating technology resources as per skill and demand, and delivering quality products.
- Build technical architecture and drive architectural investments across all aspects of the company’s platform (B2B, B2C, platform, data, information security, dev ops).
- Build and maintain “health of system” and quality engineering by embracing plans for DevOps principles through practice and knowledge sharing. Build self-service infrastructure and tools, as well as ensure system health monitoring availability, capacity, and throughput with continuous improvement of production operations.
Build and Inspire Team as a Leader:
- Manage, hire, and coach a team of 20+ (and expanding) in software engineering, data engineering & data science, business intelligence, platform, dev ops/QA and SRE at multiple levels. You are as comfortable working with employees as well as with global contract resources.
- Create and foster a team culture conducive to innovation, high productivity, and high quality in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Empower the team to manage and execute technology projects in a reliable and timely fashion with strong communication to stakeholders.
- Build and maintain career laddering and professional development opportunities and support for technology team members at all levels
- BS or MS in computer science or information technology, or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 10 - 15 years experience leading technology cloud, application, infrastructure, or architecture teams.
- 5+ years demonstration of strong technical and engineering skills including hands-on experience as an engineer building B2B SaaS product and B2C content and data marketplace.
- Domain expertise with marketing technologies (martech) including marketing automation (e.g. Email, Salesforce), dynamic multi-channel content personalization, audience targeting and retargeting, CRM, customer data platforms, and AI and ML solutions.
- Deep knowledge of developing evolutionary architecture strategies to optimize across all domains (covering enterprise, application, infrastructure, network, and data).
- Experience with agile software development practices, integration and release methodologies. Strong mix of both management and technical skills—you will create architecture and also execute on it.
- Ability to manage technical debt driven by commercial outcomes for products, combined with ability to build products with best engineering practices with high quality code.
- Ability to build strategic relationships with product, UX design and other cross-functional stakeholders to align on and deliver on technology and company OKRs
- Strong sense of ownership and accountability for technology initiatives and technology teams by tying performance to established metrics that determine how technology offering is driving growth for the business, while building engineering best practices.
- Awareness of latest Martech and HR Tech trends and best practices, with ability to choose what is practicable and what advancements best suit the needs of the company and its users.
- Care about building a strong organizational culture that values growth, learning, ownership/accountability, delivery, diversity and inclusion, and collaboration.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Be Inclusive, Always.
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to apply to roles only when they check every point on a job description. We encourage you to apply if you meet the majority of qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Built In is guided by principles of diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). We are committed to this work over the long-term, but here’s some of what’s in place today:
- We have five thriving ERG groups: Built In For The People, BuiltOut, United We Parent, Womxn United in Tech and Built In Tribe.
- We have a dedicated Director, HR + Inclusion who oversees our DEI roadmap, which provides our annual metrics, goals and initiatives.
- We are proud to be led by a female CEO and founder.