VP of Engineering
Lead the engineering team behind the BSD Tools.
Blue State Digital is looking for a VP Engineering with experience working for an enterprise Software as a Service (SaaS) company. In this role, you will lead the BSD Tools Engineering team, managing a high-performing, cross-functional team of 25+ Software, Operations, and Quality Assurance Engineers and Engineering Managers.
You will partner closely with our Managing Director and Head of Product to help define the product strategy and roadmap while working with Tech Leads to provide technology direction that leads to measurable product and business outcomes. You are an excellent manager, team builder, communicator, and problem solver.
This being a global role, your team is distributed across multiple cities, primarily Boston and New York City.
- Lead and mentor a cross-functional team of Software Engineers and Engineering Managers, covering a diverse set of technology problem domains, including Platform as a Service tooling and infrastructure automation, back-end software architecture and API services design, distributed and event-driven systems design, and UI application development.
- Foster a culture of inclusivity and open mindedness within the BSD Tools organization while crafting an inspired vision and strategy for the engineering team.
- Partner closely with our Managing Director and Head of Product to help define the product strategy and roadmap while working with Tech Leads, making appropriate product and business trade-offs and provide technology direction that leads to measurable product and business outcomes.
- Work with executive team to represent the needs of the engineering team. Be a voice for engineers crafting solutions that will resonate and motivate the team. Help improve communications between the SaaS team and the rest of company.
- Collaborate with and communicate strategic initiatives to the executive team, management and individual contributors.
- Work with our clients, strategic partners, and vendors to ensure our technology vision is comprehensive of their needs and optimizes for cost-effective and frictionless integrations.
- Understand that the context in which technology and architecture decisions are made is just as important as the technologies themselves, and you embrace the constraints of the team and business when designing software.
- Work with Tech Leads, Product Team members, and stakeholders to plan large technology projects and assess the risks associated with delivering high-value, high-risk products.
You will be a part of Blue State Digital’s SaaS business, the BSD Tools, our community mobilization and fundraising platform that powers presidential campaigns, enterprise nonprofits, disaster response, and global brands. Our leadership team is New York City-based and we have engineering teams across New York and Boston.
Top things we’re looking for
- 5+ years of engineering leadership experience in a SaaS or platform delivery environment; proven track record of managing and mentoring Engineering Managers and senior-level individual contributors.
- Mastery of modern web programming standards and best practices; experience architecting and designing complex systems across a wide range of technical disciplines.
- Experience managing multiple teams that have designed and operated a range of systems or features, particularly with user-facing and product implications.
- Desire to construct a meaningful long-term technical and cultural vision, working closely with the team to set pragmatic goals to meet it.
- Experience with agile development methodologies with Test Driven Development (TDD) and Continuous Delivery (CD).
- Passion for delivering and scaling highly-available business critical systems, and a strong understanding of the core tenets and practices of microservices architecture.
- Expertise in containerized systems, particularly with Docker, and knowledge of best practices for designing, building, and deploying containerized applications is a plus.
- Experience working in AWS, including familiarity with Amazon's managed services. Knowledge of infrastructure-as-code tools (e.g. CloudFormation) is also a plus.
Blue State Digital is a purpose-driven creative and tech agency. We transform how brands and causes engage their most important people. From Google to UNICEF, from Obama to MIT, from Tate Modern to Ford Motor Company, Blue State Digital helps grow communities, build platforms, and transform organizations for the digital age. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State Digital is a part of WPP Digital and has more than 200 employees in six offices around the world.