VP of Engineering at Spruce
| Greater NYC Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 7:00 a.m. (EST) on Monday, March 8, 2021
Spruce is the platform enabling modern real estate transactions. We work with forward thinking mortgage lenders, real estate companies and investors, and we believe the future of real estate will be driven by automation, efficiency and digital experiences, and we provide the products and services necessary to make that happen.
About the job
Spruce is looking for an experienced VP of Engineering to shape our overall technology strategy while leading our software development, Security, and DevOps teams to execute on that strategy every day. An ideal candidate will have the potential to oversee a period of significant growth and specialization for the team. The Spruce Engineering organization is responsible for creating the internal tools and structures that drive our business as well as the interface our clients use. The role reports to, and will be a partner to the CEO, working towards category leadership in enabling online real estate transactions. As the leader of the Engineering organization, you will support our current, highly experienced team, as well as recruit and train new staff to grow capacity and deliver more value to our clients and employees. As a member of Spruce’s leadership team, you will represent the Engineering function in executive decision making as well as with our board and investors.
What you'll do
- Make informed, high quality decisions about technology strategy at Spruce
- Retain, attract, and lead a diverse, inclusive, and increasingly distributed engineering team that can meet and exceed company goals in service of our mission
- Represent Engineering, Security, and DevOps in definition of company objectives
- Embrace messy business problems and lead your team to meet Spruce’s fast-paced, high-volume operational needs: automate what can be automated, create a clear path to integrations, and use technology to make the work of our business more sustainable and scalable over time
- Be a technical leader to our teams; grow internal talent, support our employer brand, and create opportunities for employees to learn and grow at Spruce
- Be a cultural leader and an ambassador of our values: ambitious, resourceful, confident, curious, self-aware, and diverse
What we're looking for
- You have held at least 1 VP level role at a comparably sized or larger organization
- High level knowledge of different technology disciplines (Product, Security, DevOps) and ability to grow teams in these work streams as well as deep knowledge of Engineering’s role in a venture backed technology company
- Experience in Java, C#, Scala, or related languages. While you won’t be writing code all day, we hope you can be a technical leader to the team
- Demonstrated success in working with Product and Sales teams to provide capacity planning for the business
- Experience scaling a team through development of internal talent as well as through external hires
- Experience in positions with board visibility
- Deep understanding of the product life cycle as it relates to startup software development
We are proud of the team we’re building. We're committed to equal opportunity employment -- and beyond. We believe diverse experiences and perspectives build a stronger team and a better product. We welcome fresh perspectives and challenge our own assumptions to make Spruce better. The more inclusive we are as a company, the better we can serve our customers.
Read Full Job Description