theSkimm is a membership company dedicated to helping female millennials live smarter lives. By seamlessly integrating into our members existing routines, we've become a trusted brand to more than seven million people. We're fundamentally changing the way our members consume news, consider products or services, and take action on important things happening in their lives. Our flagship product, the Daily Skimm, is still the fastest growing email newsletter on the market, and we've grown our product suite to fit into other routines at home, work, and on-the-go. theSkimm App debuted at #1 in News in iTunes, our podcast "Skimm'd from The Couch" reached #1 in Apple Podcasts within hours of launching, and more than 200,000 people voted with us in the 2018 midterm elections.
As theSkimm grows, we're committed to helping our members tackle big decision-making moments in life by giving them the information they need to make informed and empowered choices whether that be in civic engagement, finance, career, health, and more. Founded in 2012 by two friends on a couch, we've since grown to over 75 employees based in NYC. We are passionate. We are a TEAM. We work hard, but we know when to take a break to enjoy each other's company. Our products help people live smarter lives and we're building a brand trusted by millions of female millennials across the country. Join us!
ABOUT THE TEAM AND ROLE
theSkimm’s Operations Team is a group of fast-moving and analytical thinkers who thrive on getting stuff done. As a lean team at theSkimm, we do more with less and we hustle. Nobody is too senior or too junior to do something. Everybody executes, and we are always in growth mode.
As we grow, we're looking to hire an Accounting Associate to help scale the Accounting function and support the needs of a growing company. Reporting to theSkimm's Controller, you’ll work closely with our lean Finance team and department heads across the company. You'll be primarily responsible for assisting in the month-end close process and focused on the analysis and reporting of both revenue and expense items across the company. This role is key in enhancing the efficiency and structure of theSkimm’s control processes and the clarity of our financial statements.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Support our month-end close process and financial statement preparation
- Prepare journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and maintain all relevant supporting schedules
- Support Accounts Payable function through invoice coding and maintaining relationships with vendors
- Support the expense management and classification process by helping to classify monthly corporate credit card statements
- Work with our Revenue Operations team to create invoices and manage account aging file for the Accounts Receivable function
- Assist in theSkimm’s external financial audit by providing support and key analyses
- Develop and improve processes that support growth in the Accounting function
- Manage ad hoc, cross-functional strategic projects as needed to ensure the Accounting function scales with the rest of our business
WHAT WILL SET YOU UP FOR SUCCESS
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- 2+ years of accounting experience
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP
- Experience with Quickbooks, Bill.com, Tallie and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Powerpoint)
- Self-starter with an eagerness to learn new skills that will allow you to engage with adjacent business functions
- Highly organized with a track record of thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
WHAT WOULD SET YOU APART
- Start-up experience, or experience in a rapidly growing Finance team
- CPA (a plus but not required)
- Public accounting experience (a plus but not required)
WHAT WE OFFER
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & Disability Insurances, starting on your first day!
- Competitive salary & equity packages
- A flexible vacation policy and generous holiday observances
- Biannual performance reviews aimed at rewarding and recognizing our diverse talents
- MassMutual 401(k) program
- Up to $400 in annual gym-membership reimbursement
- Collaborative office space with a mix of snacks, seltzer, caffeine and a pretty sweet roof deck
- Catered "Sip’n Skimm" on Fridays - a time to walk through our week's highs and lows as a team, usually over food, coffee or La Croix
- Twice-monthly “Skimm’e A Drink!” happy hours - a time to wind down with friends over a beer, wine or fruity beverage
- The opportunity to be part of a friendly, hardworking and diverse group of people building a membership company that makes it easier to live smarter.
This is a full-time role based in New York, NY