Cityblock Health is a new type of healthcare company, operating out of Brooklyn and backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs, along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to radically improve the health of urban communities, one block at a time. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we bring the capability to deliver care in the home and neighborhood with our field-based teams.
In close collaboration with community based organizations and leading commercial partners, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. We deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services through a network of neighborhood hubs with deep community-based partnerships and world-class technology.
We partner with payers and at-risk providers, taking capitated financial risk to care for their most vulnerable, high and rising risk members. Additionally, we invest in strategic partnerships with community-based and social services organizations, in some instances bringing them into the value equation through sub-capitation and performance-based compensation.
Over the next year we’ll grow quickly, including entering new markets, each with their own commercial relationships and field-based teams. This role will be a key contributor to the success of our business.
As the Actuarial Manager at Cityblock, you will help build out our Actuarial function as we scale. You will join Cityblock at a critical point of rapid growth, working with different partners to serve distinctly nuanced populations across multiple geographies. In tandem, we will continue to expanding existing partnerships to new populations with different contracting approaches.
Reporting to our Chief Actuary, you will build our actuarial reporting framework, analyses and workflows for the growing business. You’ll work cross-functionally with Finance, Medical Economics, Business Development and Market Operations to tackle complex problems. Additionally, you’ll collaborate with our health plan partners to track Cityblock’s impact on our members and performance under our partner agreements. You will also have the opportunity to mentor and develop actuarial associates within the team as we scale. As an inaugural member of the Actuarial function, you will have significant autonomy, high visibility within Cityblock, and opportunities for professional growth while working with a dynamic, passionate team.
- Produce recurring reports to track financial performance under existing agreements
- Work productively with partner organizations to troubleshoot data, financial and operational challenges
- Develop an actuarial & risk management function with measures and metrics that will seamlessly integrate with cross-functional team objectives
- Derive initial estimates of claims and other financial reserves
- Iterate and refine our framework to evaluate new business opportunities
- Monitor actuarial, financial and risk metrics, specifically pertaining to Cityblock’s performance relative to partner and financial commitments
- Collaborate with the Data team to measure impact on claims taxonomy, metric development, and medical economics analyses
- Support development of trend / medical cost management functions of Cityblock
- Mentor, develop and direct an Actuarial Associate as the team scales
- Continue to take on new responsibilities and projects in an ever expanding role that will evolve alongside our company’s needs
You’d be a good fit if:
- You have an Actuarial designation and 4+ years of work experience
- You have a passion for healthcare and align with Cityblock’s mission
- You have robust experience working across 2 or more of the following areas:
- Medicare Advantage and/or Managed Medicaid
- Claims analytics and/or Provider Risk Contracting
- Financial Reporting and/or Enterprise Risk management
- You have strong skills working in Excel, SQL or other database software and/or other programming languages
- You have a track record of high performance, including when working in cross-functional teams and directing more junior team members
- You are able to work on multiple projects at the same time, and are comfortable with a dynamic environment where your role and that of your team may be rapidly evolving
- You have continuous improvement mindset that drives innovation to identify and implement incremental efficiencies over time
- You have very good communication and interpersonal skills. You are able to explain complex actuarial techniques and/or results to a non-technical audience. You are able to collaborate with others to help them be more successful
Nice to have:
- Direct experience in a capitated, value-based medical group
- Prior experience establishing methodologies in a rapid-growth start-up environment
- Experience with different risk adjustment methodologies
Please include in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.