Associate Director, Finance - Payroll and Global Mobility
Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an Alphabet company tackling the challenges of urban growth. Our vision for cities is rooted in a cross-disciplinary approach that is reflected in our team, composed of experts from real estate, government, finance, technology, engineering and more. Since its founding in 2015, Sidewalk Labs has evolved into an organization of over 100 employees based primarily in New York and Toronto.
We are currently designing a new kind of mixed-use, complete community on Toronto’s waterfront in partnership with the tripartite agency Waterfront Toronto and the local community. This joint effort, called Sidewalk Toronto, will combine forward-thinking urban design and new digital technology to create a people-centered neighborhood that achieves precedent-setting levels of sustainability, affordability, mobility, and economic opportunity.
We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it.
What is the role?
In this role, you will report to the Director of Finance and will work closely with both the Finance and People teams to run payroll at Sidewalk Labs. You will be instrumental to help evolve our payroll process, establish best practices, and support finance and general accounting activities. You are excited to help create a strategic, efficient, and scalable global finance function - including developing our global mobility program.
By week 6 you have hit the ground running and...
- Understood our existing payroll process operations and structure
- Developed and socialized a roadmap to share with the Director of Finance, HR team, and Alphabet that includes an action plan to accommodate our growth projections
- Implemented stronger end-to-end controls across the payroll processes to function efficiently
- Seamlessly run international and US payroll
- Drive our employee global mobility program, including shadow payroll, hypo tax calculations, and ensuring timely remittance to the correct tax authorities
- Have become the payroll subject matter expert across the company, people come to you with any and all payroll or employment tax questions, and you’ve become an invaluable support to our audit process.
After 3 months, you will have...
- Driven the implementation of enhancements to the Payroll and HRIS system (Ultimate Software) as the business process and system owner
- Developed a robust system and documented a series of processes to manage payroll across Sidewalks Labs and our portfolio companies
- Agreed and established month-end, quarter-end, and year-end/annual processes that work optimally for all parts of the organization.
Long-term, you know you are successful if our payroll runs with no errors, on time, across all of our geographies, and supports the operations of the company. Looking forward, you’re continually on the lookout to make things better - and you’ll be accountable for implementing those improvements to meet the demands of the business.
What Leads to Success:
- Payroll Expertise. A CPP designation and 6+ years of relevant payroll management experience, with deep experience running payroll and owning tax notices, wage orders, and government correspondence. Detailed knowledge of California + NY state tax and wage and hour law; experience with multi-state payroll. You are familiar with or have experience implementing and/or administering payroll through Ultimate Software.
- You’ve built and run programs and improved processes. You have a track record of taking initiative and accountability for results. In this, you’ve built and owned international payroll programs and have built partnerships with Global Mobility providers. You’re proactive, ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and effectively deal with ambiguity. You have a constant drive to standardize processes and make things better
- Strong collaborator across disciplines. You work seamlessly across teams, domains, locations, and are comfortable interacting closely with the Sidewalk leadership team.
- You’re comfortable with the details. Detail oriented, highly motivated analytical thinker who understands the bigger picture. You have a lot of experience working in Excel spreadsheets and are proficient with Google Docs.
We’re excited to hear from you.
The community of the future is a place for everyone, and Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. All employment is based on merit and business needs.