Billing Manager - NYC
Kustomer is the omnichannel SaaS platform reimagining enterprise customer service to deliver standout experiences – not resolve tickets. Built with intelligent automation, Kustomer scales to meet the needs of any contact center and business by unifying data from multiple sources and enabling companies to deliver effortless, consistent and personalized service and support through a single timeline view.
Today, Kustomer is the core platform of some of the leading customer service brands like Ring, Rent the Runway, Glossier, Away, Glovo, Slice and UNTUCKit. Headquartered in NYC, Kustomer was founded in 2015 by serial entrepreneurs Brad Birnbaum and Jeremy Suriel, raised over $113.5M in venture funding, and is backed by leading VCs including: Tiger Global Management, Battery Ventures, Redpoint Ventures, Cisco Investments, Canaan Partners, Boldstart Ventures and Social Leverage.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Billing Manager for our newly created position. This person will be responsible for not only managing the existing day-to-day customer billing and billing support operations, but will also act as the subject matter expert on all best-in-class billing and billing support processes.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Finance and partnering heavily with Sales and Engineering, the main strategic goal of this function is to build a best practice billing function on a to-be-determined enterprise-grade billing platform. This is a multi-functional role which requires proficiency in leadership, customer billing, support and related systems, as well as experience with ERP systems in a cloud-based business environment. This individual will work to develop long-term strategies aimed to propagate a vision of growth and sustainability of current and future billing operations.
Your responsibilities include:
- Implement an enterprise-grade SaaS billing solution, such as Zuora or equivalent platform
- Process daily billings and ensure invoices are appropriately posted and delivered to customers
- Work cross functionally to review customer contracts and ensure proper billing set-up adhering to underlying system requirements and policy standards
- Responsible for responding to external and internal customer inquiries pertaining to invoices, payments, discrepancies and contract clarification requests
- Responsible for timely and accurate daily cash postings
- Work closely with the finance team to help improve overall processes, drive process efficiencies and improve/monitor internal controls for tasks within billings and collections
- Assist sales department with contracts and customer-related questions as needed
- Respond to field escalations (sales and service) and customer service requests
- Participate in month-end closing activities, reconciliation of billing activity to the general ledger and analysis of doubtful accounts
- Assist with the annual financial statement audit
- Additional ad hoc responsibilities as may be assigned
- May involve handling sensitive personal data
- BS in Finance or Accounting preferred
- Advanced knowledge of Zuora or similar SaaS product, previous experience implementing a billing software required
- Working knowledge of Salesforce; Netsuite knowledge preferred
- 5+ years billing experience; background in cloud software environment with annual subscription, usage-based and renewal billing, collections and account reconciliations required
- 3+ years of experience in financial operations including general ledger, journal entries preferred
- Previous experience in a cloud software startup environment, high-growth, fast-paced environment with the ability to multi-task and work well under pressure
- Proven ability to perform complex billing transactions
- Proven track record for improving process efficiencies and solving problems and the ability to identify areas for process improvement initiatives
- Understanding of GAAP, ASC 606 and revenue recognition experience a plus
- Advanced proficiency in Excel (vlookups, pivot tables, etc.)
- Strong organizational and management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills -- both written and verbal
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Kustomer offers an array of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, 100% healthcare coverage, 401K, commuter benefits, and a generous vacation policy.
Diversity & Inclusion at Kustomer
Kustomer is committed to bringing together individuals from different backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to create an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive, feel a sense of belonging, and do great work together.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Learn More About Kustomer: