Capital Markets Associate at Betterment
Betterment is a technology-driven financial services company that offers services for spending and saving, alongside its core investing and retirement solutions. Since 2010, Betterment has had one mission: to help people make the most of their money so they can live better lives. Using cutting-edge technology, Betterment empowers its hundreds of thousands of customers to manage their money – for today, tomorrow, and someday – through personalized, expert advice; automated money management tools; and tax-smart strategies that help keep taxes low. Learn more www.betterment.com.About the Role:
The Capital Markets team sits at the crossroads of daily business processes and new feature development for the in-house portfolio management, custody, and trading platforms. As our Capital Markets Associate, you are excited to use both your capital market expertise and quantitative rigor to propose, coordinate, and drive key projects relating to the ongoing research and development of the Betterment trading system. To be successful in this role, you will be both process-oriented and results-focused. We’ll look to you to be iterative and a successful collaborator, bringing innovation to our systems.
This role is not remote eligible. We are looking to hire this role in our NYC or Philadelphia office locations.A Day in the Life:
- Help steward Betterment’s trading and execution systems with any required oversight and intervention throughout the trading day
- Identify new trading and execution initiatives and own the project cycle from business case, requirements, planning, design, testing, and implementation
- Improve business reporting metrics including; execution quality, trade volumes, and cost analytics
- Identify and deliver front to back platform improvements across both production trading and research environments
- Manage external counterparty relationships and onboard new partners
- Build strategic and trusted relationships across the organization, particularly with Betterment’s Custody, Financial Planning, and Investment teams
- Experience in financial services, software, or consulting, contributing to the development of complex systems, analysis, software or financial products
- A passion for capital markets and eagerness to conduct R&D in this area
- Some experience with project management and demonstrated success at collaborative deliverables
- Technical experience recognizing patterns of inefficiency and opportunity, and implementing viable solutions
- The ability to switch gears quickly and effectively, with communication skills to ensure proper stakeholder engagement along the way
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing, all occurring in a remote friendly way.
- Join one or more of our 8 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, annual gym reimbursements and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 4-6 weeks to complete the interview process. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote