Chief Financial Officer at Policygenius
About the role…
Reporting into the CEO, the CFO will be responsible for building and leading a world-class finance organization at a growth-stage leader in the insuretech/fintech space. The finance organization includes core finance functions, as well as critical drivers of company growth and performance (corporate & business development; talent acquisition & recruiting). This person will operate both tactically and strategically, partnering with the management team, the CEO and the board of directors to chart a path of ambitious and efficient growth for the company.
In this role, you will…
- Lead strategy and execution across all core financial functions, including: accounting, FP&A, investor relations, treasury, tax, and capital markets
- Oversee key company functions as part of a robust Finance org, including: corporate & business development (including carrier relationships and key distribution relationships); talent acquisition & recruiting; compensation & benefits strategy; real estate & facilities
- Own and manage all people aspects of the Finance org: org planning, hiring, talent development and performance management. Ensure a culture of high performance and engagement by understanding the people dynamics of leadership
- Ensure the company is sufficiently capitalized, partnering with the CEO in all future equity and debt capital raises, using your existing relationships and building new ones across the finance community
- Lead financial strategy and problem-solving to achieve corporate financial goals (e.g., profitability). Ensure appropriate financial KPIs and reporting are in place to enable effective decision making
- Ensure the appropriate financial systems, controls and processes are in place to support the company’s future growth
- Oversee company spending & expense management and optimize cash flows. Establish and drive an effective balance between growth and efficiency in the budgeting & forecasting processes with other leaders in the company
- Own responsibility for developing and executing against the annual financial plan; oversee the budgeting process and ensure timely and insightful delivery of FP&A reporting to key stakeholders (CEO, department heads)
- Manage investor relations, including board financial reporting package delivery with management discussion & analysis, and lead review of company financial performance on monthly board calls and quarterly board meetings
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and applicable regulatory laws and rules for financial and tax reporting
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 15+ years of finance and operational experience, with meaningful experience at a growth stage company; experience in the $100M - $1B revenue growth phase strongly preferred. Experience at a venture-backed tech company is preferred
- You’ve got significant experience successfully hiring and managing senior people in core financial functions (accounting, FP&A, etc.), managing teams outside of core finance functions, and attracting and developing top talent at the director / VP level
- You’ve shown a track record of strategic leadership achieving ambitious financial goals
- You’re a great communicator -- you know what, how and when to communicate to manage change, provide important context and obtain stakeholder buy-in
- You are collaborative and team-oriented, with an inclusive and hands-on leadership style; you know when to lead from the front, when to take a backseat, and when to disagree and commit
- You’re able to build trust across the company, exhibiting empathy, honesty and integrity; and you’re able to have difficult conversations successfully
- You are a high-energy and strategic leader, capable of operating at speed, seeing around corners and instilling discipline throughout the organization
- You possess world-class problem-solving skills, knowing when to get in the weeds and when to zoom out to 10,000 feet; you’ve also got an intuitive sense for what the right answer is, informed by pattern recognition and sound judgment
- You have an MBA (preferred) and/or experience at a top-tier investment bank, venture capital firm or private equity fund (a plus)
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship!!!
Policygenius is America's leading online insurance marketplace. We launched in 2014 and made our mark as an early insurtech pioneer. Our mission is to help people get financial protection right — and feel good about it — and we make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. We’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance like they shop for everything else — online — and have placed over $60 billion in coverage. In early 2020, we announced our Series D funding round of $100 million, bringing our total funding to just over $150 million.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we're looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine's "Best Workplaces" three years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!