Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Our Accounting and Finance team is looking for a professional and experienced Better Plus Controller. While Better is a mortgage company, we’re also a true one-stop-shop for all things home buying. Better Plus is the umbrella company that encompasses our other business units, such as: Better Real Estate and Better Cover. This individual will lead the Company’s accounting for its Better Plus entities by creating and maintaining accounting schedules and reporting packages as focusing on reporting requirements for these subsidiaries as required. They will report to the VP, Corporate Controller. This role offers the unique opportunity to directly impact Better’s growth trajectory by standing up its Subsidiaries accounting function. An instrumental hire as the company continues to scale, this individual will be expected to take on responsibility at a rapid pace.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes for all Better Plus Entities
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of monthly, quarterly, year-end financials that are compliant with GAAP and company policies
- Assist with the development, implementation, and documentation of internal controls
- Maintain and assist with developing key financial policies
- Support monthly, quarterly and annual parent company reporting
- Perform monthly budget vs actual analysis and fluctuations analysis for all Better Plus entities
- Work closely external auditors on engagements relating to Better Plus entities
- Supervise and continue to develop new processes for additional Better Plus revenue streams that emerge.
- Assist the VP, Corporate Controller with ad-hoc project
- CPA preferred
- 8+ years of relevant experience, including 2+ years in an industry accounting role for a public company.
- Strong knowledge of revenue accounting including ASC 606 experience.
- Strong preference for: Mortgage experience, Netsuite experience.
- Experience managing and collaborating with accounting professionals.
- High degree of intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels.
- Strong attention to detail and Technical skills.
- Ability to meet hard deadlines and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of internal controls, internal & external reporting, audit processes.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.